I Love History

According to historians, who was the most popular American historical figure of his/her time?

UPDATE: I will take either of 2 answers, because 'historical figure' can be interpreted differently.

This is impossible to know with 100% certainty, of course, but there is a fairly firm view of this.

The winner gets a prize.
Abraham Lincoln. That Guy been through a lot
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[@860047,BeatMySelf2Pain4Perfection] Good guess, but he also had a high degree of loathing in his time, and a lot of Northern detractors.
Eternity · 22-25, M
My pingus
AmericanaChick · 18-21, F
JFK? I hope it's JFK.
AmericanaChick · 18-21, F
[@549497,uncleshawn] This makes me sad.
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[@1055302,AmericanaChick] Maybe the answer to the question will make you happy. 🤷‍♂️
AmericanaChick · 18-21, F
[@549497,uncleshawn] Give it to me, baby!
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[c=7700B2][b]Here are 2 hints....

*One possible answer was a historical figure related to a war.

*The other possible answer was an entertainer.[/b][/c]
ZombiesAteMyArm · 36-40, M
Audie Murphy and Bob Hope?

I doubt it's Audie but hey, you never know.
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[@441788,ZombiesAteMyArm] Those are good guesses.
QueenandCrown · 36-40, F
Hitler and Michael Jackson
reflectingmonkey · 46-50, M
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[b][c=7700B2]Hints....

One of them was before the mass media age, and one of them was at the very teensy crude beginning of the mass media age.[/c][/b]
checkoutanytime · 41-45, M
Mike Jordan
BluntSm0ker · 26-30, M
I like that Netherlands flag in your avatar.
Sibo191 · 36-40, M
George Washington and probably Marilyn Monroe
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[c=7700B2][b]ANSWERS:[/b]

[b]General Ulysses Grant.[/b] He was enormously respected in both the North and South. In the very latter years of his life, as people learned more about him, his popularity hit a peak, despite the many lies and propaganda campaigns spread against him by [u]jealous rivals[/u].

[b]Houdini.[/b]

In more modern times, people have TOO MUCH access to media, and there are TOO MANY media figures being promoted. So, popularity is spread among a wider group of people. Also, the further back you go, the more people were respected for truly amazing things and for their character as opposed to shallow reasons.[/c]
[@549497,uncleshawn] ah I was somewhat close. Grant was Abram's only Hope during the Silver War.
checkoutanytime · 41-45, M
[@549497,uncleshawn] u.n. real, alister crow'lees', ruined everything 😑

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJiWlC-93Y8]
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[@860047,BeatMySelf2Pain4Perfection] The way Grant showed respect to Lee and the South and a few other things garnered him immense respect in the South, whereas many regarded Lincoln as a tyrant. It was an age of honor. People with honor respected enemies who they believed acted with honor.
Ike Eisenhower
And a top tax rate of 90%! [@549497,uncleshawn]
A top marginal tax rate simply taxes a certain rate above a set income, rather than taxing the entire income. During 1951 the top tax bracket was $400,000 (almost $4 Million in 2017 dollars). So anything above $400,000 was taxed at 91%. In other words, if someone made $500,000, that last $100,000 was taxed at 90%, not the entire $500K. [@851477,JonLosAngeles66]
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[@604557,stratosranger] The more one studies him, the more amazing he comes across. He was humble, and these sorts of people often don't get promoted in the media of their times. Churchill regarded him as the only person on planet earth who could have possibly served the role of leading the combined western Allies against Germany. People don't realize want an incredible thing he was able to accomplish -- keep the generals from in-fighting the whole effort into catastrophe, his patience, his vision, his knowledge of a wide variety of things necessary to a war effort, on and on.
I’d have to say George Washington.
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[@851477,JonLosAngeles66] That's a good guess. And there may be some historical opinion that he ranks #1. I'd have to go back and check, and I'm too lazy. Some people were worried about him, that he might choose to be a king and tyrant....very complex stuff back then.

I Love History