I Had A Strict Mother Growing Up

The following list contains examples of poor attitudes that I had from time to time as a young teenage girl. My mother was able to remove them within ten remarkably intense minutes, for many weeks to come, before they mysteriously re-appeared, and the therapy had to be repeated.

— I am little Miss Knows-it-All. Everybody else is stupid.

— I can get away with everything because I am smarter than you.

— Rules are for the masses, not for me.

— The whole world is bad and only I know.

— Only fools wear rubber boots just because it's raining.

— Boys in my peer group know better than my mother what sort of shoes I should wear.

— I deserve better; and better; and better.

— The "healthy" food I get from my mother is an embarrassment - I need real food and I need it now.

— It's my room/my bike so [b][c=#BF0080]*I*[/c][/b] decide whether I'll clean it or not.

— A genius like me doesn't need practice, especially not as far as Math is concerned.

— I have a right to roll my eyes whenever I want.

— It’s [i]my[/i] room; I can slam the door whenever I want to.

— This music [i]must[/i] be listened to at a very high volume, and especially in the middle of the night.

— Why would I want to greet our neighbor?

— I did not choose my relatives, why would I be kind to them?

— I did not invent Pentecost, why would I have to visit my relatives on Whit Monday?

— It's not my fault that I have to complain a lot. I need those shoes.

[to be continued...]
37
|
Edited: 6 mths ago
lasergraph · 61-69, M
Seems like pretty typical attitudes at that age. Good your mother was diligent.
helenS · 31-35, F
@lasergraph: Yes in a careful and detailed way, always making sure the therapy would be long-lasting.
AliceWonders · 46-50, F
I still feel guilty if I go do something fun before doing some dreaded household chore like mowing the yard or laundry.
About2 · 61-69, M
And may I ask, out of pure inquisitivness . . . .are you now rid of these attitudes or do you need correcting from time to time ? :)
helenS · 31-35, F
@About2: The above list, of course, refers to me as a 13-year-old. I am still presumptuous, and I am still arrogant. It appears I still need correction. It's just that it has become less obvious.
All totally age appropriate perspectives, especially for someone as gifted and talented as you! I would have attempted tp channel them and been careful not to extinguish the very important positive components. Failing to channel them effectively, well then maybe time for an alternate form of therapy.
Petra1960 · 56-60, F
You are talking about me when I was in my early teens. I got the same tharapy as you.lol
helenS · 31-35, F
@Petra1960: It would be great if we could extend the list. If you know other typical examples of poor attitude that needed to be removed to make you a better girl, please tell us, and I will happily include them in the list.
This is a list that could apply to very many 13 year old girls.
Pop0159 · 56-60, M
Tipical beleifs for all .. .. from time to time ..
Tripdelta4 · 61-69, M
Please describe what took place during those "ten intense minutes"

[image=https://photos1.similarworlds.com/00/00/00/00/00/54/76/37/Tripdelta4-ZcFMEGEDG-b.jpg]
Fishing65 · 51-55, M
Sounds like offenses that you should have been spanked
PeterTheTherapist · 61-69, M
Having raised one teenage girl and currently having two teenage girls (and one pre-teen) in the house, a large part of that list appears very well known to me...
PeterTheTherapist · 61-69, M
[@6602,helenS] I can subscribe to the efficiency of that therapy!
helenS · 31-35, F
[@6090,PeterTheTherapist] Yes, me as well (from another perspective though).
PeterTheTherapist · 61-69, M
[@6602,helenS] I am sure I could find a certain couple of young ladies who would sign from the same perspective as yours...

I Had A Strict Mother Growing Up
Categories: Family Struggles, Parenting and Family

The following list contains examples of poor attit... | I Had A Strict Mother Growing Up | Similar Worlds