Life

Would their secret be safe with you?

SO my 13 year old niece came out to me as bi-sexual recently. Of course her secret is safe with me and I have not had the desire to tell anyone, but I do wonder what made her tell me. She told me that she was playing at first , but this was because she didn't know if she could trust me or not, but she then brought it back up and said that she is in fact bi-sexual which I kind of figured anyway for a long time. I am comfortable posting here because nobody knows I'm on this site that I actually know.

What would you have done in this situation if the shoe was on your foot? Has it happened to you?
HannahSky · F
Keep it private if that's what they asked.
butterfly1013 · 26-30, F
[@868864,HannahSky] Same. I was never going to tell it anyway because of how our family is, so she can trust me for sure. They're not homophobic or anything , but they're more traditional.
HannahSky · F
[@5845,butterfly1013] she feels safe with you
Kids are always tellimg me stuff and asking questions, same as adults really. I ain't gonna tell nobody anything.
[@1149742,Natasha2020] Cause you get it. All us closet kids do.
[@605647,DarkHeaven] yep just how it is girl.
❤sNat
[@1149742,Natasha2020] 🖤
MilitantIrishman · 26-30, M
I wouldn't tell anyone a thing like that
butterfly1013 · 26-30, F
[@8731,MilitantIrishman] Definitely not my place to. I debated on even posting it here, but needed to talk about it. If I brought it up to anyone I knew that would know it's her.
hell no. im a gossip.
butterfly1013 · 26-30, F
[@327405,TheOneyouwerewarnedabout] Oh Lord
justanothername · 51-55, M
She probably felt it was easier to tell her aunt than her mom.
justanothername · 51-55, M
[@539784,justanothername] are any of her girl friends at school also gay or bisexual?
butterfly1013 · 26-30, F
[@539784,justanothername] A lot of people in general in that school friends or not are gay or bi-sexual... in fact my nephew's ex girlfriend ended up being bi-sexual. But yes, some of my niece's friends both boys and girls are at least bi-sexual. That's what she told me.
justanothername · 51-55, M
[@5845,butterfly1013] so if she had some girl friends from school to stay for a pajama party there’s a good chance they would be bisexual ?
deadgerbil · 22-25, M
Yup. That's serious stuff and it wouldn't sit right with me if I went ahead telling others
eyeno · M
It's obvious they trust me.

I'd say,"it's your choice and not my place to tell you any different".
DawsonsGrove · 51-55, F
I would have done exactly what you did. She trusts you and that’s so awesome. You Listened without judgment and she needed that
Oh, yes. This is a big deal. I was 22 years old before I came out to my parents. I would respect whatever her wishes were. It’s truly awesome she trusts you like that. This is probably one of the biggest deals of her entire life. Be safe and be well.
justanothername · 51-55, M
Btw what date in Feb is your birthday?
justanothername · 51-55, M
[@5845,butterfly1013] ahh, are you at the end of Jan?
butterfly1013 · 26-30, F
[@539784,justanothername] basically yes
justanothername · 51-55, M
[@5845,butterfly1013] I’m on the 14th Feb.
Until she comes out yo her family keep it as your little secret and support her as much as you can.
DeWayfarer · 61-69, M
No I wouldn't tell.

Yet given other values I unfortunately understand why some would tell.

It's funny that you find it ok for her to have sleep overs with other girls yet not ok to do the same with boys or say a mix group of boys and girls. Especially since you're not ok for her to have a girl friend over.

She could see that as confusing if not hypocritical.

I understand she is too young. Yet at the same time would expect her to invite certain girls for a sleepover just because of experimentation.

Hope you realize this.
DeWayfarer · 61-69, M
[@5845,butterfly1013] she's your niece. Yet I wouldn't be so trusting.

Solely because of my own experiences began at 10. Yes 10!
butterfly1013 · 26-30, F
[@412417,DeWayfarer] I get it, but not everyone will be the same. I know how her mind operates for the most part and as of now, I don't think she's focused on that. She doesn't even like to be around people like that which is one of the many things we have in common. I'm surprised that every once in awhile she will go to a sleep over. She likes to be a lone with her phone. I'm more worried that's she's in a relationship with her phone than anything.
DeWayfarer · 61-69, M
[@5845,butterfly1013] and that is something I didn't have and something you should be concerned about on top of rest.

I grew up in a different era. Yet even then kids were not as naive as you are making them out to be.

They do have the internet now days. And that's a world that didn't exist for me or anyone else.

And believe me I wasn't that innocent even at ten, eleven, twelve or when I was eventually raped at fourteen.

Yes multiple experiences! And with the exception of the rape all near my age group.
TheotherAndy · 41-45, M
Secret would be safe with me. Everyone has secrets, I’d hope she’d keep mine safe too
Degbeme · 61-69, M
Something like that would not go beyond them and me.
[@72117,Degbeme] you’d be the uncle that I’d tell.
Degbeme · 61-69, M
[@605647,DarkHeaven] I`d be willing to listen. 🤗

Life