Do you thank your cashier by name when checking out?

Or is it just me?

I think it stems from me working in retail so long and how boring it was to stand there ringing up folks and having the same interaction with them like a robot.

I liked when a person would say "thank you Nikki".

Made me feel a little more human .
DanteD51-55, M
Either that or sometime during the transaction. They get enough nit-wits coming through and can use a friendly word.
How do I know their name? By the badge? I can do this unless it's a woman... 馃
If they are particularly helpful or considerate.
Tracos51-55, M
cashiers?? I only do selfservice checkouts these days...
LoveTriumphsOverHate31-35, M
That's kind of weird.
Ian12361-69, M
I usually don鈥檛 know their names but I do thank them 馃憤
DanteD51-55, M
[@467302,iamnikki] And a good number of them don't wear name badges, or they cover them up so you can't see their name. I've even seen them turned upside down or the name is erased, just a badge.
iamnikki26-30, F
[@417241,DanteD] every retail Ive worked in, it was required.
DanteD51-55, M
[@467302,iamnikki] It is a requirement in most establishments, but the local management generally don't enforce it.
REMsleep41-45, F
I always chat briefly with anyone helping me if we have to interact. I joke with them. I tend to recieve great service, people remember me, they give me tips, freebies, extras all the time. Its something I always do. I worked retail for years also.
Brickbybrick26-30, F
I think people usually don't do that because they didn't see the badge. I personally wouldn't because it's not the norm where I live and the person on the other side could misconstrue my intentions.
I could probably do so if there's a female, which isn't common, except in the cosmetics section, which I have never been able to afford to visit.
iamnikki26-30, F
[@1089099,stonesandripples] how can a simple " thank you Jason" or "thanks, have a good day Jason" be misconstrued?
Brickbybrick26-30, F
[@467302,iamnikki] how can an accidental eye contact be misconstrued? And yet a dude at the mall wouldn't stop following me even though I didn't smile at him or look at him a second time.
Saying thank you with his name would probably make dudes like this think I'm into them then I'd never be able to shop at that store again.

Oh boy do I have stories to tell.
Kindheartedguy46-50, M
No. Absolutely not. I've been at conferences and people will look at my name tag and call me by my full name. (Only my grandma did that)

If I don't tell you my name... don't use it.
JustNik46-50, F
I don鈥檛. It seems...intrusive to me somehow. I opt instead for eye contact and sincerity.
iamnikki26-30, F
[@23104,JustNik] calling one by their name is intrusive?馃し鈥嶁檧锔
JustNik46-50, F
[@467302,iamnikki] LOL I know. I鈥檓 weird. It鈥檚 just that [u]they[/u] didn鈥檛 give me their name - their company did. So I find other ways of acknowledging. 馃し鈥嶁檧锔
samueltyler270-79, M
[@23104,JustNik] if they have a name tag, it shows that you pay attention, I try to smile at them as well.
AlyAngelF
I always try from same experience
Quimliqer61-69, M
I do!!
I do if I know them.
Wilbury51-55, M
Wouldn鈥檛 it鈥檝e been creepy from an old guy?