When you stop to think about it, it really is impressive that you represent an unbroken line of descent for millions of years of life.

A line not broken even during the catastrophic asteroid impact 65 million years ago that wiped out the dinosaurs in firestorms and ash clouds.

Pretty neat.
Iwashere2 · 36-40, M
Well,yes and no i guess. The line won’t be broken only because you don’t have kids unless you have no other relatives with kids.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
Its great, especially as we humans don't even need a mwteor to bring about our own extinction. We do it to ourselves.
OggggO · 31-35, M
Maybe. It feels a bit less impressive to me, since I see it as "I am one of billions of constantly dividing branch tips on a branch that didn't get pruned out of countless ones that did, all on a single tree from a single seed". The tree itself is impressive, the fact that every bud has a continuous path back to the roots isn't.
newjaninev2 · 51-55, F
Yup, I am the 2nd-most-recent incarnation of a 3.5 billion year unbroken line of descent

(I was the most recent, but a couple of decades ago I promoted one of my eggs into that position) 😀
beckyromero · 31-35, F
But aren't birds descendants of the dinosaurs?
newjaninev2 · 51-55, F
[@31716,beckyromero] Yup, birds evolved from small theropods, and the earliest examples we have of feathered dinosaurs date back around 150 million years.
[@31716,beckyromero]

Technically they [i]are[/i] dinosaurs😳