Major Debate

I'm going back to school but I'm torn between degrees.

I'm going for Accounting and Finance but I'm torn between them. I eventually want to end up in international trade/business or possibly in a finance company to help small businesses get out of dire straights.

I want to move abroad with my family eventually.

Ideas?
Quetzalcoatlus · 41-45, M
Double major
Harmonium1923 · 51-55, M
Unless you want to be a CPA I’d go for finance which is much broader and probably has more interesting career options.
fun4us2b · 61-69, M
Here's an idea in generalized broad strokes - accounting would be more suited to introverted personality type vs Finance would be extroverted... not sure if I'm right, but maybe sheds some light?
darktippedrose · 36-40, F
[@64578,fun4us2b] I'm an amnivert? I think. I'm mostly introverted but I can be extroverted as well.
fun4us2b · 61-69, M
[@1132,darktippedrose] Ambivert - I hadn't heard of that before and have to say that describes me as well. If you can tolerate giving presentations and such Finance would be better - but it also depends on the jobs available in the area you are moving to. There's always need for accountant in a small town - Finance is better in a metro area....
darktippedrose · 36-40, F
[@64578,fun4us2b] I hate presentations lol. Currently have a problem as my local accounting chapter won't quit dodging my calls.
quitwhendone · 46-50, M
Do both. It's just a few more course. It's easier to get a job as an accountant. Take and pass the CPA exam and be a CPA. You will always be in demand.
Magicalone2017 · 51-55, M
Yes....they really go hand in hand very well. Get both.
quitwhendone · 46-50, M
I think you'll do well. Where abroad do you want to move?
darktippedrose · 36-40, F
[@955094,quitwhendone] uk, or Ireland. If not then I wouldn't say no to France or Italy. I've been practising my French on duolingo
quitwhendone · 46-50, M
[@1132,darktippedrose] But accountancy is different in other countries.
quitwhendone · 46-50, M
[@1132,darktippedrose] Ohhhhh
International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
darktippedrose · 36-40, F
[@955094,quitwhendone] yes
quitwhendone · 46-50, M
[@1132,darktippedrose] Sounds like you have a great career ahead if you. I'm really excited for you.

I highly recommend the double major.
BirthYear1993 · 26-30, M
Please respond to my message
Adogslife · 61-69, M
My degrees are in Economics and Accounting. The last thing I’d ever want to be is a CPA. It’s just too boring.

If you go with the Finance degree, you’ll get at least 2 required Accounting courses anyway. If you like them you can take Intermediate Accounting.

Finance is generally at a more macro level. It’s students are much more likely to have an Alpha perspective in life.
Adogslife · 61-69, M
[@1132,darktippedrose] Try this from Harvard Business Review
https://hbr.org/2004/05/coaching-the-alpha-male
darktippedrose · 36-40, F
[@397348,Adogslife] thank you. I'm not interested in much leadership as of yet. I prefer to work in accounting or finance analyst roles.
Adogslife · 61-69, M
[@1132,darktippedrose] both can be great jobs. just try to do really well in school. your gpa will matter. no one wants to hire a financial analyst or accountant with average skill. just keep that in mind.

also, the upward potential is really good, so stick with it. you’ll make a great living.

Good luck!
Thespis · M
Do finance. People in finance actually go up much faster than people with MBA's
darktippedrose · 36-40, F
[@793496,Thespis] true enough. I guess the question is CPA vs CFA
Dadbod52 · 56-60, M
Sex was better in college ;)
Dadbod52 · 56-60, M
Online sex Isnt the same lol fun but not the same[@1132,darktippedrose]
darktippedrose · 36-40, F
[@447698,Dadbod52] not quite what i meant lol
Dadbod52 · 56-60, M
[@1132,darktippedrose] I know ;)

I Am Going Back to College