Date of Last Revision: February 11, 2021
What information do we collect?We collect information from you when you fill out a form, use our services or when you log into Similar Worlds.
- At the time you sign up for an account, we collect basic details you provide to us, such as your name, e-mail address, sex and birth date.
- When you log in, create a post, write a comment or use our services, we may save some details, such as your IP and device you are using.
- When you upload a photo, we may save some meta data that comes with the image.
- If you choose to submit private photo(s) for account verification, we save those image(s) in our servers. You can delete these verification photos as any time.
- When you make a payment, we may save some transaction details such as the item you purchased, your payment amount and PayPal public details. We do not have access to your credit card information and we do not save any details of it.
- We may collect information about your device and browser, such as what modern web technologies your browser supports, whether you use an ad-blocker, your operating system, your browser name and some other details. We do not have access to your computer username, password or personal files.
What do we use your information for?Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one or more of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience
Your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs, ensure we provide you with website features that your browser supports, and provide you support when you need help from us.
- To improve our website
We continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you. These details also help us in knowing our community better and ensure that we take the right decisions when we make changes or implement something new.
- To improve customer service
Your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs. We also use your information to respond to you when you contact us.
- To process transactions
Your payment information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company or entity for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested.
- To protect our community
We use the information we have to help verify accounts and activity, and to promote safety and security on and off of our services, such as by investigating suspicious activity, abuse or violations of our terms or policies.
How do we protect your information?We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you access your personal information:
- We store your passwords using an encryption algorithm specifically designed for this purpose. We have no way of knowing what your password is, using the data we store in our database.
- We are constantly checking that our applications and servers are secure, doing our best to prevent unwanted individuals from taking control of our systems or gaining access to private data.
- We encrypt our server and database backups as a way of protecting your data better.
- We use HTTPS/SSL (secure connection) on Similar Worlds, which means that your activity is encrypted and private.
- We don't use insecure protocols to administrate our server, database or emails. We also try our best to disable the usage of insecure protocols.
- We don't share your personal information without your permission (unless required by law).
- We restrict access to personal information only to the Admins of Similar Worlds. Moderators and Staff (other than the Admins) may have access only to the information that they need to know in order to process it for us (such as dealing with Reports of public posts and replies). Moderators and Staff (other than the Admins) do not have access to your private messages. Moderators and Staff are subject to strict confidentiality obligations and their role may be terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
- We limit the data we keep in places outside the main databases, such as logs, documents, notes, emails and conversations. If any of these require any personal identifiable information, we only add the data we need for each specific scenario, and we destroy that data when we don't need it anymore. This helps greatly in preventing against data breaches.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others' rights, property, or safety. Non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Information shared with partners
- We only share the minimum required information with our partners. We do not intentionally share any personal identifiable information with our partners. This means that the data we share with our partners isn't enough to identify our users.
- We don't intentionally share private data (such as your email, username, user ID or private messages) with partners, unless the data is available to public on your profile, or it is essencial to provide a service.
- We don't intentionally share sensitive data (such as your sexual orientation or religious beliefs) with partners, unless the data is available to public on your profile.
- We use Amazon Web Services (AWS) to send email notifications and other correspondence, via email, to our users.
- We use Google Analytics to help us understand how our users interact with our services, such as what pages are most visited and what links are not used. With Google Analytics, we gather stats of the URLs/links our users visit and some of the buttons or links being pressed, without linking any of these stats or events to our users individually. Users may opt out of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics Opt-out Page. Users may access and/or delete activity stored by Google via Google's My Activity Page.
Google - How Google uses information from sites or apps that use our services
Google Analytics - Opt-out
Google - My Activity
Google AdSense - Opt-out of Ad personalization
See our list of Ad technology providers
Amazon Web Services - Privacy Notice
Amazon Web Services - Data Privacy
Amazon - Privacy Notice
Amazon - Opt-out of Ad personalization
ExoClick - Privacy & Cookies Policy
Media.net - Privacy & Cookies Policy
How do we retain and access information?We may retain information from accounts disabled for violations of our terms for at least a year to prevent repeat abuse or other violations of our terms. When you delete your contents, your removed content may persist in the database and backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others). We may also access, preserve and share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; to protect ourselves, you and others, including as part of investigations; or to prevent death or imminent bodily harm.
Your account settings and email notificationsWhen you register on Similar Worlds, you are automatically subscribed to the email notifications of its basic features.
However, you may disable some or all notifications via your Account Settings - Email Preferences.
On that page, you can edit your account preferences. If you no longer wish to use or have access to that particular account on Similar Worlds, you may cancel your account at any time by accessing your Account Settings, then Leave Similar Worlds and following the instructions there. After your account has been set to hiatus, you can complete the process to cancel your account. Once canceled, it can no longer be reactivated.
Profile VisibilityProfiles on Similar Worlds are set, by default, to be visible by everyone, including people who are not registered on Similar Worlds.
This setting can be changed through your Account Settings. You can set your profile visibility to Members only.
If your profile visibility is set to Public, everyone will be able to see your public comments, stories, groups, public photos and other contents that are not private.
Sharing Posts on Similar WorldsWhen you share a post (via the submission form at the top of any group or community, or the Post page), your submission will be posted to the group or community and will be made public.
Sharing Photos on Similar WorldsThe visibility of the photos you upload to your profile depends on the Album you post into. If an Album's visibility is set to Friends, its photos will only be visible to users on your Friends List. This also means that updates about that image (upload or comments) will not appear in the news feed of users who are not on your Friends List.
Always think before you upload a image. If someone provides the direct link of the image (URL) to a person that is not on your Friends List, that person will be able to see the image. The page on your album that contains the image will not be accessible to non-Friends (depending on your privacy setting) and the image will not appear in the Albums list.
If the album visibility is set to Everyone, this setting will change its behavior depending on your profile visibility. This means that if your profile visibility is set to Friends, then the photos in the album will be visible to users on your Friends List only.
Third party linksOccasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback regarding these sites.
ChildrenWe do not intentionally gather personal information of users and visitors who are under the age of 13.
Terms and ConditionsPlease also visit our Terms and Conditions section establishing the use, disclaimers, and limitations of liability governing the use of our website.
Disclaimer: Similar Worlds and all staff of Similar Worlds will not be held responsible for (1) any content generated by Similar Worlds users or (2) content that exists through any links posted on the Similar Worlds website.
Similar Worlds is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by Experience Project.
Similar Worlds and all images associated with Similar Worlds are © Copyright 2021 Similar Worlds. All Rights Reserved.