I Think Good Friends Are Rare

I met a guy on my flight back from SD to TX. He is a younger guy, maybe in his mid 30’s. We talked a lot on the plane about my situation and his recovery from alcoholism. He has been texting me ever once in a while, and I would occasionally text back. For some reason I feel so bad about all this. He’s an extremely attractive man, but he seems to be masking his unhappiness. He was and is too upbeat and tries too hard to sound positive. Something about this is making me feel uncomfortable and I don’t know how to go about this new friendship...
6
|
NearMiss · 41-45, F
Maybe it seems stiff because you don’t really know each other yet.
MyNewBeginning · 41-45, F
Maybe... but something about the way he carries himself makes me feel sorry for him. I wish he didn’t have to feel like he has to be or act happy all the time. We’re all human. [@333089,NearMiss]
NearMiss · 41-45, F
[@639139,Serenitynow] I guess it’s just how he’s trying to cope.
MyNewBeginning · 41-45, F
That’s what I was thinking.[@333089,NearMiss]
labsrock · M
Let it progress naturally
Runningwolves · 56-60, M
Just be a friend and no expectations
MyNewBeginning · 41-45, F
No expectations here on my end, but I just feel for him. I hope he’s not forcing himself to be “happy”. Not only with me, but in general because that’s gotta be hard...[@632763,Runningwolves]
Runningwolves · 56-60, M
[@639139,Serenitynow] very, but i too am a recovering alcoholic. I've been clean and sober for over 8years now.

I spent that 8years working on me without the distraction of relationships.

Just being sober and in recovery doesnt fix the problems of the past.

So be safe and no expectations which you've already covered and I wish you well
Spaceshipcaptain · 36-40, M
He may be trying to hard and hoping to develop a connection.
MyNewBeginning · 41-45, F
Maybe... or maybe he is trying to fool himself that everything is good and perfect. If this is the case I feel really bad for him...[@518144,Spaceshipcaptain]
Spaceshipcaptain · 36-40, M
[@639139,Serenitynow] true. Although i would sugguest not to overwhelm yourself for feeling bad for him.
MyNewBeginning · 41-45, F
Yeah... but I can’t help it because I know how he must feel. It’s a very stressful thing to do...[@518144,Spaceshipcaptain]

I Think Good Friends Are Rare
Categories: Parenting and Family

I met a guy on my flight back from SD to TX. He is... | I Think Good Friends Are Rare | Similar Worlds