I Like Old Songs
[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlPVVk2H5c]
"Harper Valley PTA" -- Jeannie C. Riley

On this day in 1968, country singer Jeannie C. Riley became the first female performer to top both the Country and Pop charts simultaneously. This feat would not happen again until 1981, when Dolly Parton ranked number one in both categories with her hit song, “9 to 5”.

The fact that “Harper Valley PTA” did so well on the Pop chart kind of surprises me as the song sounds pretty hardcore country to my ears, but I do get its appeal. It tells the story of a young widowed woman who turns the tables on a bunch of hypocrites that have basically judged her to be an unfit mother for committing such sins as wearing miniskirts, drinking alcohol, and “a-runnin' 'round with men”. As it turns out, her accusers are guilty of worse and she proceeds to call them out publicly and individually at a PTA meeting. I found it pretty amusing.

Can’t resist posting this picture of Jeannie C. Riley from back in the day. 😍

JohnnyO · 36-40, M
great song
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@105699,JohnOlinger1] Mostly people who work in the entertainment industry.

May 17th
JohnnyO · 36-40, M
[@121363,Rutterman] nice
JohnnyO · 36-40, M
[@121363,Rutterman] Will I get any Twitter Replies from Female Celebrities Or Male Celebrities This Week
summersong · F
As someone who is both a PTA mom and complete miscreant, this song delights me.
summersong · F
[@121363,Rutterman] we're the best kind of moms 😇
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@334441,Summersong] 🙂 👍
Peaches · F
[@334441,Summersong] Me too!🎶😁
Mguinm · 51-55, F
I remember this song when I was younger and I haven't heard it in ages. As soon as I saw your story here it went flooding through my mind again. I never knew what the song was about back then so this was a nice bit o info. Love the picture of her too by the way.
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@23013,mguinm] Really appreciate your comments. I suspect you were way too young to understand the song when you first heard it. She was a real beauty in her younger days and it kind of blew me away when I saw this photo of her.
Mguinm · 51-55, F
[@121363,Rutterman] Yes I was way too young! Yes she is a real beauty. I remember seeing her sing this song on TV once and I remember thinking of how pretty she was.
fancyboy · 56-60, M
Wasn't she married to Jim Stafford?
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@376026,fancyboy] Yep. "Ode to Billy Joe".
fancyboy · 56-60, M
[@121363,Rutterman] I remember when both of those were hits!
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@376026,fancyboy] That's a long time ago. Half a century now. Hard to believe.
WalksWith · 51-55, F
Have you ever watched Harper Valley PTA on the 'Movie of the week' back in the day? I think Barbara Eden was in it? Oh it was fantastic!
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@568500,WalksWith] No, I never have seen it. I heard it was good, though. I do know Barbara Eden was in it.
ChampagneOnIce · 46-50, F
I’ve always liked this song. I remember a tv show in the 80s based on it.
ChampagneOnIce · 46-50, F
Yep. 😊

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUdZxQXKls]
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@327203,ChampagneOnIce] Lol. Barbra Eden was so sexy and perfect for the role. Thanks for the video. 🙂
ChampagneOnIce · 46-50, F
She was. Loved I Dream of Jeanie too.
Angelly · F
🎼 I remember this song well because it was so over played on the radio when I was in the 8th grade. I also remember Jim Stafford's song " Spiders & Snakes ( you fool, you fool). Thanks for the stroll down memory lane🎶😉
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@367202,Angelly] You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed the stroll. 🙂
SmartKat · 56-60, F
I don't normally like country music, but I like this.
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@64306,SmartKat] Cool. Glad you like this one. 😎
sarabee1995 · 26-30, F
Very hard core country... lots of twang. Interesting story, but too much twang for me. :)
sarabee1995 · 26-30, F
[@121363,Rutterman] And my grandfather loved all that older country. I would listen with him, but 😖
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@1360,sarabee1995] Haha. You loved your grandfather, so I'm sure you didn't mind it too much. Anybody else, fuhgettaboutit.
sarabee1995 · 26-30, F
[@121363,Rutterman] 👍
Peaches · F
Don't know HOW I missed this one!?😉Brings me right back to my roots, yee haw❣🐎💃Love the lyrics to this song.🎶🤓👌🏼
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@364304,Peaches] It's okay you missed it. Glad you eventually found it and like the song. 😎
Peaches · F
[@121363,Rutterman] Oh, it was a big hit in North Carolina when I was a little girl. 😁👌🏼🎶🎼💓

I Like Old Songs