The study of boredom

And how dangerous it can be...

This explains SW lol

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boredoms-mental-illnesses-brain-injuries-154807772.html

[quote]It turns out that people hated it. They found the experience so unpleasant, many of them preferred physical pain over the discomfort of boredom. When given the opportunity to self-administer a mild electric shock with a button, 67% of men and 25% of women pressed it at least once to help pass the time. One particularly miserable person shocked himself an incredible 190 times.[/quote]

[quote]Boredom is a distressing emotional state that combines feelings of restlessness and lethargy, arising from situations that are no longer satisfying or stimulating. Early research often dismissed boredom as temporary and inconsequential, but recent work has established its links to mental illness, traumatic brain injury and dysfunctional behaviors such as reckless driving and substance abuse.[/quote]
Lilymoon46-50, F
I was gonna read all of this but I got bored. 馃ぃ
Lilymoon46-50, F
[@800884,Viper] Yes, curiosity once or twice, but anything beyond that is a little weird. 馃榿
OogieBoogieF
[@800884,Viper] [@1141547,Lilymoon] personally id connect mental illness to the "want of it" .

I know it sounds severe ...but many want to explain away their pain and issues with a label that dignifies medicating, and justifying what they feel and fear.

Many Mental issues are difficult, tiring and painful to try to overcome or at least alleviate .

To develop coping mechanisms and try behavioural therapy isnt fun .

No one it seems wants to be "normal" any more 馃し鈥嶁檧锔
Lilymoon46-50, F
[@912138,OogieBoogie] yeah I'd agree with the "wanting" of it associated with mental issues.

and yes there are so many degrees and facets to mental illness it's hard to pinpoint one or the other.
OogieBoogieF
Thing is , this test didn't take into account the pain level of individuals, their personal interpretation of the electric shock , and that the 'once " may have been out of sheer curiosity and opportunity.....I mean howmany kids have touched an electric fence ?

And were all bored?

I mean I can sit by myself and entertain my mind.
But I'd still test the electric shocky thing at least once 馃榿

I see your point ...but I'm just not sure if it's an effective test .馃し鈥嶁檧锔
ViperM
[@912138,OogieBoogie] oh actually stated that in a message below that I would totally at least touch it once just out of curiosity.

I'm not saying that test along proves it.

[quote]I mean I can sit by myself and entertain my mind.[/quote]
I could sit with you and entertain both of us lol 馃構
MagentaF
Fascinating.
This sums up social media. I don't know how one could spend a large amount of time on it, day in and day out and not go utterly bonkers, lol. It may be stimulating but in an instant candy rush way, nothing lasting or substantive.

[quote]Boredom is a distressing emotional state that combines feelings of restlessness and lethargy, arising from situations that are no longer satisfying or stimulating.[/quote] This explains so much and even how I mostly feel now. Although I do not agree with the "mental illness" label, that seems to be a popular catch all phrase. But anything in excess can create issues.

I Hate Boredom