I Love 60s Music

Thinking about songwriters who also were performers. Especially when their song was a much bigger hit for someone else. But I find it interesting to hear how they originally envisioned the song. The most classic example that comes to mind is [i]Me and Bobby McGee[/i] the biggest song in the meteoric career of Janis Joplin. But many find the composer Kris Kristofferson's version has more depth. Mary Hopkins version of Paul’s song. Here is another stunning difference. A big hit at Woodstock and later on an album sung very differently by C,S,N&Y here is how the composer saw the song in her mind.[youtube=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cRjQCvfcXn0]
4
|
Edited: 3 mths ago
Abqfunguy · 51-55, MVIP
You are right on all counts. I have always been fascinated by that phenomena. Kris Kristopherson was such a prolific writer and yet performed so little, comparatively. David Alan Come is another favorite that comes to mind. Same situation. Thank you for sharing this, Anne.
AnneHoney · 36-40, F
Many singers praise Kristopherson’s version Bobby McGee over Janis’s [@621082,Abqfunguy]
Abqfunguy · 51-55, MVIP
I agree completely. But I have some bias. I have honestly never been a big fan of Janis. She was talented and clearly poured her soul into her music, and I appreciate that. It's just that her voice was like nails on a chalkboard to me. I have always liked Kris's work.

I Love 60s Music
Categories: Music

Thinking about songwriters who also were performer... | I Love 60s Music | Similar Worlds