I Like This Song

"I Can Help" – Billy Swan

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ9ml_5lVxs&list=LL&index=3]

On this day in 1974, this crossover hit began a two-week run at #1 on the US pop chart. It also made it to #1 on the country music chart in the US.

“I Can Help” was an international hit as well, topping the charts in a number of countries around the world. The song was so popular in Norway that it remained on the country’s singles chart for 37 weeks. It is the 4th best-performing record of all time in that country.

Billy Swan (the song’s writer and original performer) is generally regarded as a “one hit wonder”, but that’s misleading. Though “I Can Help” is his only major hit on the pop charts, he’s primarily a country music artist and has had some Top 20 and Top 40 records on the American country chart. Swan has also had continued success as a songwriter for other performers and as a backing vocalist and session musician.
seeandhear · M
When we started playing this record people called in asking (some [i]knowing [/i]) it was Ringo Starr singing.
Another terrific posting from you.
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@485959,seeandhear] He does sound remarkably similar to Ringo Starr. In fact, that's who I thought it was the first time I heard the song.

Thanks. Always appreciate your comments.
seeandhear · M
[@121363,Rutterman] Plus the fact Ringo released a country album just four years earlier, and he is an acknowledged fan of country music only added fuel to the fire.

You’re welcome sir.
uncalled4 · 51-55, M
I, too, thought it was Ringo.
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@329500,uncalled4] Yep. Same here.
JohnnyO · 36-40, M
[@121363,Rutterman] Will Ohbabe Become My SW Groupie
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@105699,JohnOlinger] That was in reference to the first question.

Yes to the second question.
JohnnyO · 36-40, M
[@121363,Rutterman] Nice
JohnnyO · 36-40, M
[@121363,Rutterman] Will MotherRussia Become My SW Groupie
HairbrushDiva · 31-35, F
I still hear it on the radio from time to time.
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@1114676,HairbrushDiva] Cool. It's a good song.
HairbrushDiva · 31-35, F
[@121363,Rutterman] Yes, it is catchy. I can see why people like it.
🥰😘 Show me your two strong arms, Brown 🐻 of mine...😇
[@121363,Rutterman] Yeah, you're my golden boy! Precious lyrics...perfect for my mood. Like who can put it better than you....🥰😘

😅 And two strong arms means embrace, Dummkopf
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@372543,Vivaci] Yes, of course...

[@121363,Rutterman] 🥴

I Like This Song
Music