I Am Concerned About the Future of Earth

Some thoughts and quotes by George Orwell and others. It all sounds disturbingly familiar:

"[b]Totalitarianism[/b] demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably [b]demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth[/b]."

“A totalitarian society which succeeded in perpetuating itself would probably set up a schizophrenic system of thought, in which [b]the laws of common sense[/b] held good in everyday life and in certain exact sciences, but [b]could be disregarded by the politician, the historian, and the sociologist[/b].”

"The totalitarian regime rests on lies because they are lies. [b]The subject of the totalitarian regime must accept them not as truth — must not, in fact, believe them — but accept them both as lies and as the only available reality[/b]. She must believe nothing. Just as Orwell predicted, over time [b]the totalitarian regime destroys the very concept, the very possibility of truth[/b]. Hannah Arendt identified this as one of the effects of totalitarian propaganda: it makes everything conceivable because 'nothing is true'.”

Welcome to the era of Trump (and others, many other, in many countries...)

😐

The original article concerns literature, if if anyone feels like reading more here's the link:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/how-george-orwell-predicted-the-challenge-of-writing-today
2
|
Mamapolo2016 · 61-69, F
The quibble here is not totalitarianism, but the question of who sees the objective truth...my answer to that is, nobody in either party who adheres blindly to the behavior and agenda of right or left.
OH my. No way this is a never ending abyss.
What's all that got to do with the future of the earth? Asking for a friend.

global warming, Mad scientists, Wars, famine, natural disasters, poverty, and meteorites great big meteorites; just a hand full of the problems we face on this planet

Some thoughts and quotes by George Orwell and othe... | I Am Concerned About the Future of Earth | Similar Worlds