Education

What's a funny phrase that you like?
I find this phrase/expression rather funny : 'And Bob's your uncle' it is an expression of unknown origin, that means "and there it is" or "and there you have it." It is commonly used in Great Britain and Commonwealth countries. Typically, someone says it to conclude a set of simple instructions. The meaning is similar to that of the French expression "et voilà!"
Sometimes the phrase is followed with "and Nellie's your aunt" or "and Fanny's your aunt." It is sometimes elaborately phrased Robert is your mother's brother or similar for comic effect.
4
|
Pfuzylogic · 56-60, M
I always like the phrase that they used in the "Wizard of Oz" "Now that's a horse of a different color".
Then you would see in the movie that they had horses strutting on the parade way that were colored differently as they walked through Oz. The meaning is; "now that is something completely different"!
Learnt a new phrase. Thanks! :)
Pfuzylogic · 56-60, M
@BigAsset: Isn't it wondrous how the classics can be new again!
@Pfuzylogic: yep :)
Swoop62 · M
If your Aunt Alice had a moustache, she would be your Uncle Fred. A way to express how big the word 'if' is.
Lol awesome phrase! :)
thinkincubes · 36-40, M
I LOVE this one that I first heard in the movie Amélie: "Sinon tant pis." Means "if not, so be it." Dunno why really, it just sounds so awesome saying it. Sinon tant pis. SINONTANTPIS.
I like it :)
LiMustache · 36-40
Lol
firefall · 61-69, M
Bob's your uncle, an expression meaning "everything will be fine", originated when Arthur Balfour was unexpectedly promoted to Chief Secretary for Ireland by the Prime Minister, Lord Salisbury, in 1900. Salisbury was Balfour's uncle and his first name was Robert.

Other notables named Robert have also been nominated as the origin of this phrase. See here for more.

Green's Slang Dictionary notes the gap between Balfour's appointment and the appearance of the saying and suggests that Bob in this case is a euphemism for "God".

(from StackExchange)

Education

What's a funny phrase that you like? | Education | Similar Worlds