Experiences

Do u blame the rise of endless conspiracy theories on the decline of religion?
0
|
MerryMilkshake · 22-25, M
that's a bit far fetched
SurprisePartyRegicide · 18-21, M
Not really, my most religious friends were the most conspiratorial in high school. But perhaps that's because the fall of Christianity is making them uneasy, and conspiracy theories are generally a psychological result of dread and uncertainty.
SurprisePartyRegicide · 18-21, M
[@903658,BelovedTed] In my experience, they're genuinely very religious, but I realize that that's just anecdata and means very little in itself.
BelovedTed · 46-50, M
Not at all...good to know. Just seems like some correlation going on.
[@4199,SurprisePartyRegicide]
SurprisePartyRegicide · 18-21, M
[@903658,BelovedTed] Generally though, I'd blame the rise of conspiracy theories on the Internet and people having more choices in entertainment. I know this is kinda talked about to death, but the fact that people like Alex Jones can easily spread their bullshit for morons and crazy people to watch all around the world is definitely gonna increase conspiracy theories. I tend to think there's a correlation between religion and conspiracy theories, but that's probably not causation; I bet there's just a lot of overlap in the kinds of personalities who will buy into those kinds of ideologies that have no basis in observable reality.
Flannellakegirl · 18-21, F
I think it has to do more with social attitudes but conspiracy theories could be a reason I guess
MattyVan · 46-50, M
I would argue the exact opposite. The blind faith that religion demands leads to faith triumphing over logic.
BelovedTed · 46-50, M
And yet religion declines as conspiracies seem to be the norm now.[@1066203,MattyVan]
MattyVan · 46-50, M
[@903658,BelovedTed] Conspriracies tie into religion. One decrying the falseness of the other.
JovialPlutonian · 31-35, M
No I blame the religions for their bs
Yulianna · 18-21, F
i thought religion was the original conspiracy theory
PhoebeJ · 26-30, F
[@156315,Yulianna] Just wanted to write the same answer
Yulianna · 18-21, F
[@1116399,PhoebeJ] 🤗 cool!
bowman81 · M
Maybe it is the increase in conspiracies? 🥴

Experiences

Do u blame the rise of endless conspiracy theories... | Experiences | Similar Worlds