I Parenting

Any suggestions on how to explain death to a 3 year old?

Books? Cartoons? Just conversation?
Her dog was hit and I don't know how to help her understand.
hippyjoe1955 · 61-69, M
Just be there to support her. It will be part of her growing experience. Death is a part of life and not something to be afraid of.
hippyjoe1955 · 61-69, M
[@1122346,Rosiechick13] I know. However we have to realize our adult emotions and thoughts are not those of a child nor are her thoughts and emotions yours. We too often rush in and make things worse. If she asks answer honestly.
Rosiechick13 · 26-30, F
[@10033,hippyjoe1955] thanks
hippyjoe1955 · 61-69, M
[@1122346,Rosiechick13] Give your little girl a big hug and let her know you love her. Mommy's love cures all kinds of pains.
AussieWhisperer · 100+, M
Focus on addressing her feelings. You can say something like, "Pop-pop isn't here. I miss him too.

If she asks whether Pop-pop will ever come back, you should tell her the truth - that he won't. If your child asks whether you or she will die, you can explain that your bodies are healthy and strong so you're not going to die now.
Rosiechick13 · 26-30, F
[@1203332,AussieWhisperer] also beautiful horse
SunnyTheSkeptic · 22-25, M
When I was little, grandpa explained how the poodle died by reenacting it my toys, how it got on the road and was hit by a car. Luckily I didn't give two craps about that dog because it didn't like me.
Bimyself · 61-69
Oh no that's horrible:(

I Parenting