Goals, Dreams & Wishes

Do you believe in problems?
The Dutch art of flip thinking is based on the philosophy that problems only exist in our mindset. A problem is nothing more than a difference between reality and an idea of how things are supposed to be. Without expectations, reality is just a neut...
See More 禄
I like you Dutch philosophy. In the Balkans we have an art of complicating our lives. We kind of like it complicated. 馃榿
BlueHydrangea22-25, F
One of the best posts in a very loang time! But wait a minute, theres something about it that makes it not fully convincing -to be completely true, nope, once again the nuances of grey start to infiltrate
tynamite26-30, M
What a load of bullshit.
SenorSiesta41-45, M
An absolute absence of problems from the conciousness doesn't seem to me realistic or desirable, but a lessening is, and the tactic spelled out above is admirable in theory. Thanks for sharing.
QueenOfQuirkF
Also, I love it how the Dutch are so direct, people in Asia generally tend to "suggest" things but not be direct. Goedemiddag :D
mumbling22-25, F
I like this idea, and think it is true for a lot of things... but can you really apply EVERY problem here?
Yes and no. I think it can theoretically be applied to everything, but some things are (almost) impossible to accept as a neutral circumstance, let alone take advantage of.
Wraithorn51-55, M
I think there is some truth in this. It seems that most problems in our lives are a result of viewing things with emotion or attachment. If we can view things entirely without emotion or attachment then the problem is a neutral fact.

In order to see reality we need to be detached. That is far easier said than done though.
Wraithorn51-55, M
Here is an interesting quote from a French philosopher in connection with reality.

"Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by someone who is detached." - Simone Weil
cherokeepatti61-69, F
Some people refer to problems as "challenges" but both are a pain in the butt.
The art of flip thinking doesn't just change the name though. It changes the perspective.

For example: there was a company that invested a lot in their employees, but noticed that many of them quit and be hired by other companies soon after their training. Instead of forcing people to stay through extra clauses in contracts (fighting to adjust reality to their wishes), they decided to change their business plan. They stopped offering their original services and started marketing themselves as an educator to make the high turnover part of their goal.
cherokeepatti61-69, F
@Plobey: The one man I remember saying it was a top aid to a senator for many years and still working for him.
Sounds very Buddhist

Goals, Dreams & Wishes

Do you believe in problems? | Goals, Dreams & Wishes | Similar Worlds