I've decided to tell myself one thing when I'm tempted to give in to some kind of unhealthy habit and let my life spiral out of control

And it's thinking about what the 27-year old me would thank the 22-year old me for doing when I'm, well, 22. Would he look back and say "Wow, I'm so glad I started smoking again back then" or "Thank God I played Call of Duty all night instead of studying" or "I really regret not eating that pastry back in 2021"...

The idea of this just floated into my mind when I was contemplating studying today after a hard day of work and an exam. I'm yet to discover if this will be effective, but when you think like this, you pretty much decide to delay gratification with a clear reason and objective for doing so. And your mind automatically and much more effectively begins to think more clearly.

This may work for me because I cannot thank myself for what I did when I was a teenager, so I guess it should work the other way too. Food for thought.
Nanori · 26-30, F
My current 29 yrs old is telling my 22 yrs old that it wasn't all that necessary, you know ¬.¬
Bane9 · 22-25, M
[@934648,Nanori] Of course, FOMO is real, so it's good to indulge every once in a while, but on your own terms...
Nanori · 26-30, F
[@1038365,Bane9] stop talking, play the piano
Bane9 · 22-25, M
[@934648,Nanori] Now is not the time for Piano playing, doctor, that comes later!