When talking down car salesman..?
Do you ask, "Would you take $X dollars"? or
Just state as a fact, what you can do.."I can do $X dollars". ..?
0
|
Edited: 1 week ago
Steve42 · 51-55, M
If I don't walk out at least once in negotiations over price haggling, I have not done the deal justice.
Coralmist · 36-40, F
[@131646,Steve42] So basically you want to say no to what they ask, and walk out hoping they'll think of your offer?
Steve42 · 51-55, M
[@562099,Coralmist] Yes. I'll even go home and let them sweat a few days. I also would have done my research before I even showed up the first time. I'd go on a monday near the end of the month.
Coralmist · 36-40, F
[@131646,Steve42] Nice. Thinking of test driving tomorrow, but I'm nervous about them coming...guess I could ask if due to Covid I could go alone. I don't want to do haggling because I know some people won't take women as knowing a good price (not all though)
I buy online and no in-person negotiations. On pickup day, I say no to all the extras they want to add on.
Coralmist · 36-40, F
[@377093,BiasForAction] Thanks! I'm nervous about haggling. I'm not assertive. Did you test drive a car or just buy? I guess I could do negotiations in email after looking at it (if I buy). I read that in a 'Tips for dealing with salesman' article
[@562099,Coralmist] I do plenty of homework and know exactly what I want. I wait for a time of year when car dealerships need to sell. Then I go online and get three quotes from three different dealers. If they differ, I get the closest one to match the low offer. Then I make an appointment to pick up the car.
Coralmist · 36-40, F
[@377093,BiasForAction] Great ideas! I really need a newer car and it just happens to be during this trying time of the economy. I hope I can talk them down even a bit. 🌸Ty!
BelovedTed · 46-50, M
I fuck with them. My offer is...and then I insult the shit out of them by going low. My goal is for them to tell me to fuck off. Then I tell them make an offer.
BelovedTed · 46-50, M
[@562099,Coralmist] lol, I just hate car salesman and refuse to be intimidated. They need to make a profit and I tell them that. I like to go in pissed off.
Coralmist · 36-40, F
[@903658,BelovedTed] And now imagine as a woman...I think some of em won't take my haggling seriously or just refuse an offer I make... Although ppl here said they'll want a sale during this time
BelovedTed · 46-50, M
[@562099,Coralmist] on line is a good option. Homework is key. I don’t take enough advantage of timing the purchase because when I need a car I need it fast. You do need to be willing to walk, too.
quitwhendone · 46-50, M
Take a LOT of the salesman's time first. Go there multiple times if you can and always deal with the same sales guy. The idea is to make the guy invest a lot of time and energy into you and the sale to you. Then come out and say you don't have whatever the ask ing price is but you can do $vw,xyz.00.

The sales guy is going to want to get some return for all the time he invested in you. So he is going to be more likely to accept your offer.
Chevy454 · 41-45, M
I can’t do it. My wife was good at it. She had agreed on a down payment and at some point the guy asked about it and she dropped it by 1k or so. She still got it.
Coralmist · 36-40, F
[@1004204,Chevy454] 👍🙂

When talking down car salesman..? | Miscellaneous | Similar Worlds