Life

Everyone I meet who go into university seems to be doing it for the money

It feels like I'm the only one who does it to accomplish something that isn't money-related. I want to feel a higher sense of self-worth and to get to a point where I can actually achieve something of importance. My grades don't really matter to me as long as I pass the class to be able to continue to attend classes. My grades definitely wouldn't matter if I didn't feel like I was learning something of value.

A classmate of mine said that he barely remembers anything from the course we just had, as if that would be an achievement.
Pinkstarburst · 51-55, F
I admire you for your perspective. A degree doesn’t guarantee wealth. Do what you love and everything else is gravy.
MartinTheFirst · 22-25, M
[@6912,Pinkstarburst] Thank you 🤗 Yeah imagine if they get their degree, didn't learn much, and don't get the wealth they wanted. All that time will be wasted in their eyes.
Pinkstarburst · 51-55, F
[@336516,MartinTheFirst] The piece of paper doesn’t even guarantee a job these days. Unless it’s in a specific, necessary field, it’s a crap shoot.
checkoutanytime · 41-45, M
Fuhha'd up? In the aftermath..
Alfarrobas · 31-35, M
The problem is to join the thing you like into a thing that makes you money to have a confortable existence.
IF you do a thing that you love, but don't generate you enough money to live, how do you manage doing the thing you love in the first place?
And grades are important. Yes, it's more important to understand the subject you are having, but when you are choosen for a job based on the CV, they don't know if you know the things better than another one that had a higher grades. For that they would need to mark interview with you, but in the middle of hundreds of aplications, they need to analise and choose they better CV, or the more interesting ones. Not the ones the will just be guessing if this person is good, or not. It consumes time and resources to recruit and search for new people for a work.
Pinkstarburst · 51-55, F
[@351879,Alfarrobas] That has not been my experience when dealing with helping students.
Alfarrobas · 31-35, M
[@6912,Pinkstarburst] that happens when you live in diferent places. And there is another thing. There always exceptions to the "normality".
Pinkstarburst · 51-55, F
[@351879,Alfarrobas] True. Different countries operate differently.
That is a wonderful attitude to have ..well done to you .I admire that
HannahSky · F
I think it's changed. People used to go to continue learning. Now it's more technical and people do it for a certain job, almost like a trade rather than a university philosophy about higher education and learning.

Life