I Go to Church

Well I did.

I joined a sister church when I moved to a different state. I went faithfully for many years until I started working a lot of jobs.

I finally went back and was shocked to see that the congregation had dwindled down to nothing. The church was mismanaged and it was utter chaos. It was pretty obvious that the church was mismanaged.

I went to church number 2 on the recommendation of our music director who also left church 1. One Sunday a few weeks ago, I showed up for church but there was a sign on the door saying the church was closed due to Covid. The weird thing is they WERE HAVING a service for a select few invited guests. I was NOT one of them. I was a little confused seeing the sign and watching the people pull up. I knocked on the door but was ignored. Then the minister's wife headed toward me-she ducked her head and turned away.

I went to Church number 3 this past Sunday. It is a mega church with over 30,000 members in several locations. The minister asked for us to pray for our new leaders. Then he justified it by saying, "The Bible says so". Then he added he would have prayed for Obama and...well Trump too.

I got up mid sermon and left. I believe in separation of church and state.
Quimliqer · 61-69, M
Finding the place where the word is spoken without bias, the doors and welcome signs for new members is evident seems to be a fleeting thing.
There are so many empty churches, some because the original members were the mainstay and are now gone, some because the children of the attending members moved away, but most because the leadership wanted to polish the image of those that attend regularly, not out asking the poor, homeless and disabled to come.
akindheart · 61-69, F
[@397227,Quimliqer] churches are sure struggling to get members. you know, the second church didn't even call me to find out what was wrong. i will eventually find one that suits me.
jim44444 · 70-79, M
Your experience is why I have not attended/been a member of a church in 50 years. They are either cliques or money making machines for the "leaders".
akindheart · 61-69, F
[@8129,jim44444] what a shock to say the least..
luv2fish · 61-69, M
Our church has several campuses because our primary church building could not accommodate everyone in one building even having 4 services on Sundays. The church started online services about 3 years ago. So when COVID hit, pretty much everyone just switched to online services. It also makes it very convenient for snowbirds like us.
akindheart · 61-69, F
[@176676,luv2fish] wow...that is a huge congregation!
luv2fish · 61-69, M
[@18045,akindheart] Yes, several thousand. We have small group get togethers to better get to know people.
Striker · M
I believe I would have left as well
akindheart · 61-69, F
[@1074415,Striker] its hard to believe 3 churches are bad. Church 2 never reached out to me
Peaches · F
[@18045,akindheart] I've been to a church like that too.😞
Peaches · F
I haven't been to a church in years now, I used to go all the time.🙃
SweetMae · 61-69, F
I agree. Each has it's place.

I Go to Church
Religion