Work

What if your best friend
became your coworker? Would you be happy, like what are the pros and cons?
Edited: 3 yrs ago
Elegy · 41-45
It can be cool especially if you are both on par with your quality of work. If on the other hand they suck or blow you away the relationship could get tenuous.
Elegy · 41-45
Your wanting the best for your friend will override any frustration you would have at work. Do you think she would treat you as well?
@Halcyon: Yup I trust her. I'm thinking we may distract each other tho. Haha
Elegy · 41-45
Well that will either be good or bad. :)
Pros: you know someone there so it will make you comfortable.
Cons: If they screw up, it's reflected on you by association.
Yes I would love that. I tell her she should come work with me all the time.
Haha my best friend was my coworker..or broworker. .it was awesome haha.
Don't you think your friendship was a bit of distraction at work? In a negative way?
No we worked good together and I had a permanent after work drinkin' buddy haha XD
Cool 😋
hunkalove · 61-69, M
Something I learned long ago is just because you work with someone doesn't make them your friend. And never date a coworker.
hunkalove · 61-69, M
@MissingNotes: Yes, but what if they become your boss? Or you become theirs?
@hunkalove: hmm that would be a test of your friendship I guess
hunkalove · 61-69, M
@MissingNotes: It also might be the end of your job.
No I'd not like that. It can become distracting at work and there can be competition between us that might not be so good for the relationship.
Exactly my thoughts...or one could be too dependent on the other
@MissingNotes: Yeah. That as well, one ends up carrying the other persons weight out of friendship and it can affect their own career.
wonderland63893 · 22-25, F
This did happen to me, and it went really well but I think it does depend on the friend though. I mean my other best friend, the thought of working with her I just couldn't do it no wayy.
Why not?
wonderland63893 · 22-25, F
@MissingNotes: Well we would end up messing around alot, she can be very bossy and controlling. Plus she wouldn't listen to anything I told her, so I could see us having arguments
No because business and friendships should be separate
Why do you think that?
Adogslife · 56-60, M
As long as he/she is being hired based on merit, it shouldn't be an issue. If people become critical of your friend's work habits, you have to allow them their judgements. You're there to work, not validate a friendship.
@Adogslife: Uhh..what if the manager sucks. Like because I'm hardworking and quiet.. as in I rarely ever complain.. he keeps transferring me from one department to another. More workload, more responsibilities, new staff (including my friend) and overall a new system to get used to. Every time I think I've finally gained some balance he makes me lose it
Adogslife · 56-60, M
@MissingNotes: the best way to understand where you are in your work life is to ask for a raise.

The training obviously serves a purpose. First, a young woman, you'd want to rule out attraction being the reason. You need to firmly establish why you're there. You need a mutual timeline for advancement that's profitable and quick. Certainly less than year is the most you should wait.

Always evaluate your future potential where you are. Always have a resume ready for the next promotion at another company. Use it as an exit plan or as leverage in your current job.

Read about the Peter Principle and relate it to your current job. Women in the work force are incredibly valuable. They typically work harder and have more integrity than men.

You're young. Set a fast pace now while it's easy. Don't wait for the doldrums later and wonder, "Why?"

Good luck!
@Adogslife: Thank you. You must write a book. Everyone around me encourages me to push myself further and set a fast pace since supposedly, I still have the energy and time but honestly I'm tired. I want to be stable.
Sueann30 · 36-40, F
Good reason because I feel comfortable and know my best friend we work well together as we always did in school but I think the downfall would be I know what she is like and would leave most of things to me but don't think it would bother me and over all would like my best friend as my coworker.
That's good to hear

Work