I Love Nature

I was just sitting on my patio, watching a pair of white-tailed hawks soaring and diving. The show went on for half an hour. I'm easily entertained.
2
|
samueltyler2 · 70-79, M
Does it seem to you that there are many more hawks in the sky then before? That certainly seems the case in NJ.
exexec · 61-69, M
[@5627,samueltyler2] I haven't noticed any difference in numbers of hawks, but I've seen varieties that are uncommon around here. Maybe the migration patterns have changed. We definitely have some animal species in our area that have moved north with warming. For example, brown anoles have eliminated green anoles and many geckos in our neighborhood, and there were no brown anoles two years ago.
samueltyler2 · 70-79, M
I wonder if the climate change may have really changed the fauna already.
exexec · 61-69, M
[@5627,samueltyler2] I believe so. When we moved her is 1977, there we absolutely no geckos in our area. By 2000, we would have geckos everywhere, with several on our window screens every night, catching insects. The most common lizard was the green anole, with absolutely no brown ones. The brown species showed up two or three years ago. They are much faster and more aggressive than the green anoles and geckos. The brown ones feed on the young of the others, so they have taken over. It seems that lizard varieties and some insect species are moving north from South Texas and Mexico.
samueltyler2 · 70-79, M
[@11378,exexec] wow, strong evidence. We are also seeing fish in the middle Atlantic stares that were not there 10 years ago. Some seem to be disturbing the natural order as well.
exexec · 61-69, M
[@5627,samueltyler2] I forgot about the fish. They are catching snook and tarpon in the Galveston area, which was not a common experience when we moved here.
samueltyler2 · 70-79, M
[@11378,exexec] to Mr Pruit and the science deniers, come see what we see.
exexec · 61-69, M
He should have been here for the 51 inches of rain that we got from Harvey. That convinced a lot of doubters in our area.
samueltyler2 · 70-79, M
[@11378,exexec] will it change their votes?
exexec · 61-69, M
[@5627,samueltyler2] No. I am surrounded by people who believe every word on Fox News. Add the Petrochemical Industry that supports our area, and you won't find much support for environmentally responsible legislation.
samueltyler2 · 70-79, M
[@11378,exexec] that is sad. We are ruining it for our kids and grand kids. I sit on the clean air advisory council for the EPA, it is so sad to see the scientists so disillusioned by their bosses.

I Love Nature
Categories: Travel

I was just sitting on my patio, watching a pair of... | I Love Nature | Replies | Similar Worlds