Sports

Why are there hardly any black Americans in Major League Baseball anymore?
I grew up watching players like Joe Morgan, Ricky Henderson, Tim Raines, Tony Gwynn etc.

Any racist comments will be blocked immediately. I have no room for that B.S.
1
|
NCCindy · 31-35, F Best Answer
I'm guessing less black kids are playing baseball these days ...

That said, more are playing basketball and the NBA has plenty of blacks ...

Similar situation for the NFL.

Baseball just doesn't seem to have the appeal to them that it once did.
Helganvisari25 · 46-50, M
I agree.
NCCindy · 31-35, F
[@113373,TexChik] [@497760,Helganvisari25] As an athlete, my attitude is as long as kids of all races are out playing a sport, not staring at their devices and staying out of trouble and away from drugs ... I don't really care what sport they play ... all sports are great for building character, you learn a lot about life and you stay fit.
TexChik · 36-40, F
[@371617,NCCindy] yes I agree . When I played tournament ball as a kid there were hundreds of other girls playing . That thinned out in college quite a bit . Now I help a few Little pitchers when I can . It’s great to see all those little girls playing softball
Dewkissedrose · 41-45, F
Good question. I have no idea.
FreeSpirit1 · 46-50, F
Sports is the ultimate meritocracy, The best players play.....regardless of color.
TexChik · 36-40, F
I’m not sure ... there are plenty of black Americans in the baseball hall of fame .
MrBrownstone · 41-45, M
Hardly ever been any in majors.
smmartydude · 36-40, M
I think a lot of them have gravitated more towards football and basketball. I'm a high school teacher and I work with kids of all backgrounds, and it seems like the African American kids all want to play basketball. It's much more rare these days to hear a black kid saying he wants to play baseball. They find it boring...but basketball, they love.
more play other sports like basket ball and foot ball. latino more play baseball these days.
Ynotisay · M
You're right. There used to be a much higher percentage of black major leaguers. I think there's two contributing factors. The first is that MLB started mining Latin American countries for talent. Baseball is different there. It's both a passion and a "way out."
The second is that baseball has taken a backseat to basketball for most African-American kids. Many also don't have access to fields and leagues. All you need for basketball is a ball, a hoop and cement.

Sports

Why are there hardly any black Americans in Major ... | Sports | Similar Worlds