If you didnt hear what someone said, what do you usually reply with?

This girl i met from Canada says "pardon" and said that saying "what" or "huh" is rude. Well you're in America now! Lol. Some people do say "excuse me" or "pardon" but thats rare. Its what, huh, say that again, etc etc
deadgerbil · 22-25, M
"what was that?"
Doomflower · 36-40, F
It depends on the setting. If I don't know someone well I will be ultra polite and use "pardon?"

If it is a close friend I will yell that "I can't f#@!ing hear you when you mumble!!!"
REMsleep · 41-45, F
If this person is not my close friend or family I would not say huh. Its too informal and can be seen as rude.
I would say " what was that again" or " I didn't catch that last bit"
DragonFruit · 61-69, M
I usually say “Excuse me?”
I might say “What?” if I know the person pretty well.
I’ll generally only use “Huh?” if I did hear what was said, but find it unlikely.
Doomflower · 36-40, F
[@475592,Dragon56] I have a horrible habit of saying something like "huh? Oh yeah blah blah blah" because my mouth starts making noise before my brain has fully grasped the meaning of your message.
DragonFruit · 61-69, M
[@85866,Doomflower] It doesn’t bother me, as I know a lot of people do that, but when I was practicing law I got into the habit of using words that wouldn’t be misinterpreted....and I certainly wouldn’t accuse anyone saying that of being rude.
Doomflower · 36-40, F
[@475592,Dragon56] this explains so much.
I use pardon me politely. Even excuse me. Or really?
I can usuall hear tho.. But my grandma says "pardon?" when she cant hear initially.. I'd probably be like "what?" if i couldnt hear or if i wasnt sure i heard right or didn't want to believe what i heard.. But I'm not formal