why not give hedonism a shot?
Is hedonism a good way of life?
0
|
thinkincubes · 36-40, M
At times, I've thought it was the only realistic way of getting through life. I'm definitely hedonistic for a big part.
Unlearn · 36-40, M
Seems like it...getting bored of mediocrity.
lucian · 22-25, M
nope it gets old and turns dark really fast
Unlearn · 36-40, M
@lucian: Nah I know better than most of those things. It depends on the person I guess...
lucian · 22-25, M
and the age too maybe but yeah good luck
Unlearn · 36-40, M
@lucian: Yep age and previous experiences too...
Th1nkF1rst · 61-69, M
IF you have money
Unlearn · 36-40, M
Of course...
dannys925 · 22-25, M
After finishing my first two years of college, I checked this one off my bucket list.
Unlearn · 36-40, M
And?
dannys925 · 22-25, M
No hedonism is not a good long term option, I can't afford to satiate my every whim on my limited income. Booze, drugs, cigarettes, sex, etc. leave you with no money and wicked headache the next day. I agree fully with greenmoutaingal.
I mean if you don't believe in any kind of afterlife or karmic retribution and all morality is subjective why not just fill your life with as much earthly pleasure as possible?
@Unlearn: I just mean if you don't believe in some kind of cosmic scorekeeper that is judging on how you live your life and will either reward you or punish you based on your earthly deeds. If you think that this is it, forever..there's no inherent meaning to anything we're just a temporary arrangement of matter sliding towards oblivion in a cold and uncaring universe...then why not be a hedonist?
Unlearn · 36-40, M
@dreamingofoz: I do know about afterlife...it's nothing like what religion would have us believe.
@Unlearn I would imagine it isn't. If you didn't have any clue about existence you were just a conscious mind and tried to envision the universe it would be pretty impossible. Any kind of afterlife that may exist I have to assume would be the same. I can't see it being anything similar to this.
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
No. I've tried it. It is not. It's too self-involved and it makes happiness dependent on physical well being, good health and comfortable circumstances. It also attracts shallow people into one's life.

why not give hedonism a shot? | Community | Similar Worlds