Is it ok to reset the maintenance required light on your car yourself?
I see vids on YouTube but I don't want to mess up anything. **My car has already had an oil change and tire rotation within the last 3 months. Apparently they did not reset the light I don't want to waste time waiting on them to do it. I...
+ 1 31 replies 36 views Aug 1, 2020 |
Sure why not?
JamaI · M
im at the store
Wraithorn · 51-55, M
[@1134713,JamaI] Lol. Apparently you're also completely insane. No worries though, many of us are.
Some autoparts stores will lend you the thing that you can see the code - and they will tell you what is wrong. But they cant reset the code.
[@467302,iamnikki] Oh - that's weird - if the check engine light is on then there should be a code.
iamnikki · 26-30, F
[@760047,MarmeeMarch] I never mentioned a check engine light
[@467302,iamnikki] Oh - I guess my car is too old - it doesn't have a maint light.
htreaty · 46-50, M
I wouldn't without fault diagnosis first. If it's stayed on after servicing by a mechanic they need to re-check first before disabling it, in my opinion.
I reset mine all the time..
If your car allows you to reset it as mine does than go ahead and do it.
Wraithorn · 51-55, M
Maintenance light ? I've never heard of such a thing. Us 3rd world peeps are lagging it seems. 🙂
rottenrobi · 51-55, F
If you know how, reset it.
Rooster · M
Not a problem. I've reset many for people over the years. As long as good maintenance is done? I wouldn't worry about it.
[@467302,iamnikki] I know but you seem to be mad at mechanics for some reason.
iamnikki · 26-30, F
[@760047,MarmeeMarch] not sure where you picked up on anger. There was absolutely none there. He mentioned BS repair bills. All I wanted to know is if he saw people being taken advantage of, i.e, customers being charged for 'repairs' that weren't needed in the first place. I can understand how things can be misread and wrongly interpreted.
[@467302,iamnikki] Mostly frustration and a mechanic that usually rips off women. Because they have gotten away with it for so many years. They even try it on me. One guy at a tire store told me the benefits of filling up my tires with Nitrogen instead of regular air for 10 dollars a tire. Women - and I hate to say this because it is generalizing but they will say key words like safety / and more stable. And the woman would just go - uh huh and fork over the bucks.
lovelywarpedlemon · 26-30, F
Go back to where your car was serviced, tell them what happened, and have them reset it.
Are you sure that is what the light is? Is there something else?
iamnikki · 26-30, F
[@78387,Stereoguy] did it myself
[@467302,iamnikki] You are a rockstar! 😎
iamnikki · 26-30, F
[@78387,Stereoguy] 🙄 basically all i had to do was hold the odometer button and turn the key over

Is it ok to reset the maintenance required light o... | Community | Similar Worlds