Should kids (or anyone) be prescribed ADD or ADHD meds?
Poll
Yes
No
Third Answer
Show Results
You can only vote on one answer.
And please, feel free to express your personal experiences with (or without) it.
2
|
Edited: 1 yr ago
sighmeupforthat · 41-45, M
if it's for real and not a parent/teacher excuse to keep the kid controlled.

adhd is for real, just too many learn about it and find opportunity to abuse it to benefit themselves.
nedkelly · M
Only after fully diagnosed by a quantified practitioner - not some parent who uses Dr Google
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@5946,nedkelly] From observing some of my acquaintances, if you doctor shop, you can eventually find a doctor who will make this diagnosis. A friend of mine went to 11 doctors before she got the diagnosis she wanted. People who are the parents of "special needs" children get respect and are often seen as noble, struggling parents, while the parents of an unruly out of control child get only criticism and scorn.
Only if absolutely necessary.
puck61 · 56-60, M
It is disturbingly over prescribed in the US, like a lot of other pharmaceuticals.
Anonsmiles · 18-21, F
If they can’t control themselves in class or can’t pay attention, yes.
Greenbare · 70-79, M
[@386144,Anonsmiles] Drugging boys into submission is HORRIFIC CRIME against children.
katielass · F
I don't personally know any kids who've been prescribed those but my question is why so many hyperactive kids suddenly. When I was growing up there weren't kids who were like that. We were told to sit down and shut up and we did. It didn't present a problem for anyone that I recall. I have to wonder if it was all the drugs my generation did. And subsequent generations have done but we pretty much started the widespread use.
katielass · F
[@497006,carmelinuk] I just don't remember any kids getting in trouble for not being able to be quiet or still. Could be I just wasn't exposed to them.
QuixoticSoul · 31-35, M
The world was just different, and far less information rich. I grew up in the Soviet 80s, where we hardly had any television, no video games, no internet, etc.

It was an absolute shock when I came to US, and everything was loud and bright, with constant messages, commercials, etc vying for my attention - definitely a sensory overload, one that took me a long time to get used to. And that was in the 90s, before proper internet, or social media, a computer in every pocket, etc.

These days kids marinate in this stuff from birth, it is no wonder that their brains are developing differently. Stulimuli is what drives brain development after all - and these days it never ever stops, or even pauses. The ADHD epidemic, oversold as it is, is ultimately misguided adaptation to modern conditions.
Winterwanderer · 22-25, M
Debatable, to an extent, the epidemic itself is indeed a result of modern conditions, but the genuine condition itself presents itself differently among those who actually have a disorder (Not just a lack of discipline or concern).
No almost every kid who takes these pills end up smoking pot or doing other drugs later in life it’s the real gateway drug
nedkelly · M
[@691096,Mrloweco] Where is your evidence? what percentage are allegedly taking drugs?
[@5946,nedkelly] the kids I grew up with who took that shit are now deadbeat junkies I’m not someone who does all my research on the internet my opinions come from real world experience because of that I don’t have the numbers.
[@5946,nedkelly] the medication is amphetamines
Justlilyg · F
For me I don't believe so. especially when it comes to children.
Personally I think it requires someone with patience to find the right learning methods for this child. I believe the same love and care we show autistic/aspergers children add/adhd deserves
Winterwanderer · 22-25, M
Yeah, I don't think society really does much to accommodate for these people, in fact, I think because these people don't fit the mould and have so little accommodation, they are ravaged by those many things which are so simple & easy to most others.

Many don't ever learn how to find their place, nor do they learn how to arrive at this place.
adhd is almost always dietary related. reactions to certain foods mess with neurotransmitters.. its becoming more prevalent because the destruction of our diets on society is reaching a head.. with gene expression from the pregnant mothers, antibiotics prescribed too early killing gut bacteria, sugar and monster grains with too much gluten causing leaky gut and way too much processed food.. you have a perfect cocktail for adhd. Its an autoimmune response too the body attacking proteins that cross the blood brain barrier.. My son has adhd and I wish i had known all this sooner.. but ive caught it now. We treat his problems quite well just by removing gluten, dairy, processed food and making sure he gets probiotics and enough minerals from his food.
also its so much hard work and many parents dont have the patience or skill to deal with it so medication is better than nothing.. although that easy way out is probably why their kid has adhd in the first place.. it was for me. I ate crap when i was pregnant and got sick.. had a preemie and a c section and he was on glucse drip and medication before he even had his first milk. Then I was a tired busy mama who found it easier to give him frozen dinners. A far cry from these days, hes 6 now and he takes a full packed salad, fruit and home made sugar dairy and gluten free cake to school every day, has home cooked meals every day, no take out.. It is more than most parents have time for and their pateince cracks the second their kid starts refusing veggies and screaming for macdonalds.. the healthy diet basically makes us make those chemicals naturally in our own body.
QuixoticSoul · 31-35, M
If you medicate everyone, they’ll never have a chance to develop coping mechanisms. I think we are radically overprescribing. But at the same time, the most extreme cases simply need the meds to function in something that resembles a normal manner.

Should kids (or anyone) be prescribed ADD or ADHD ... | Community | Similar Worlds