Spirituality & Religion

Why does religion determine morals so much?
Growing up around Catholics, this was extremely prevent. I suffer from depression and anxiety, but I was taught in catholic school that it was all in my head and it was attention seeking. But that is socially acceptable in the place I was. For Amish, technology is evil.
Why do people put so much into what "God" wants and just be good to themselves and others?
1
|
Flenflyys · 26-30, F
It's a means of control.
hippyjoe1955 · 61-69, M
Why do you put so much into what the present zeitgeist tells you?
cycleman · 56-60, M
Love one another. Do not allow others who question you be a personal bother. You have God within you.

Are you Amish? I am just asking cuz you are Online and isn't that "technology"?
No, but I live near them.
Greenbare · 70-79, M
Monotheism is inherently intolerant. They claim "the one truth" and they condemn anyone who does not obey their priests. A big part of trained obedience is moral standards that are difficult to do. Psychological control is exerted and trained by enforcing moral standards.

Polytheistic religions are not so much about control or about "morals." One God may be doing something quite different from another God so neither is "the right."

Wicca is full of people who are "recovering Christians."
PsychoMantis · 26-30, M
@Greenwind: Monotheism makes more sense than polytheistic.
Greenbare · 70-79, M
@PsychoMantis: Monotheism is domination and control. Its pretty much evil. Always has been.
PsychoMantis · 26-30, M
@Greenwind: monotheism is not about control, it's about freewill following a wicked path or a righteous path towards salvation.
AwakeAndDreaming · 22-25, F
because keeping a promise to someone else is easier than keeping one to yourself.

also I agree with flenflyys, the church is big on control. They're a giant organisation but unlike the state, they can't put you in jail if you break their rules, and unlike a corporation, they can't fire you.
So, they stick with making you feel really bad about it instead
Maggimay · 41-45, F
I left the catholic church 2 years ago. Far happier now then I was. But! I still do believe in God.
ajsk13 · 46-50, M
the bottom line is it teaches you right from wrong ,something that is very lacking in our present society , what are you so depressed about?
@ajsk13: no,i was diagnosed with clinical depression. Its not really a specific thing. Just something that happens.
ajsk13 · 46-50, M
well amber I could only go my your original post which until you reply made no statement about being diagnosed so let me ask you again ,what are you so depressed about?
@ajsk13: well, you tell me. When someone tells you that everything is in your head, you can only go inwards for comfort. Over time it takes a toll.
LoveChild · 22-25, F
They don't. They hijack them. Morality exists by common assent become law, then religions try to put spin on it: claiming it as their own.
PsychoMantis · 26-30, M
Actually theology is harder to understand you are wondering in the dessert lost some people are there for days and others are there for years.
peaceful143 · 31-35, M
World religions are separative, ways of controlling people,illusory. Whatever humans create and think, is dead. So his all ideas, hopes are dead. God is one of them. God gives us an identiy because we're empty,live a shaky life full of imaginations, hopes. So there is this separation,conflict and inner mess.

Spirituality & Religion

Why does religion determine morals so much? | Spirituality & Religion | Similar Worlds