Where DO They All Come From

Beatles wondered it in Eleanor Rigby. I sometimes ponder them as well. Talking "words" here, and more importantly, words combined in to the phrases we recognize and use as part of our lexicon today. I thought I'd toss one out there and it's history as a primer. If you're interested, toss one on the pile and cite the reference . For instance: "[b]Running Amok[/b]"--[i]during the 18th century, European visitors to Malaysia learned of a peculiar mental affliction that caused otherwise normal tribesmen to go on brutal and seemingly random killing sprees. Amok—derived from the “Amuco,” a band of Javanese and Malay warriors who were known for their penchant for indiscriminate violence[/i]

Off we go....
Freeranger · M
Bury The Hatchet: Origin: During negotiations between Puritans and Native Americans men would bury all of their weapons, making them inaccessible.
Mamapolo2016 · 70-79, F
I wonder if 'running amok' was a thing [i]before[/i] the Europeans arrived?

I Love Words