Is Trump responsible for increasing Islamaphobia?
His tweet about Ilhan Omar disengenuously implied that she was minimising the 9/11 tragedy.

Her speech (if you see it in full) was making the point that Muslims should not be judged - as an entire people - by the actions of terrorists. It's heavily ironic that the Trump retweet underlines Omar's point perfectly.

Since then, Omar has received an increase in the number of death threats she's received. Note I said 'increase' because she's received plenty already for the crime if being a female Muslim leftists who is outspoken.

Death threats on the Internet might be perceived as crazed tirades by a bunch of saddos but then what were the words of the Christchurch shooter? The rhetoric of politicians pushes the bar a little further and its pushed further still by 'edgy' online posters until...

Obviously Donald Trump cannot be held directly responsible for political violence because he doesn't directly advocate it. Well, he sometimes says he'll pay the legal fees. However, he should still show responsibility for his rhetoric and the real world consequences that such words can bring. Though obviously the idea of Trump and responsibility enters the realm of science fiction.
11
|
Edited: 1 week ago
coolhandpeza · 51-55, M
In a word ..... yes.

And what do you imagine his reaction would be were something terrible to happen ? Would he decry it as a hate crime ? ..... would he fuck. He would more than likely intimate it was her own fault while of course , completely absolving himself of any responsibilty.

curiosi · 56-60, F
Many American's are very sensitive to 9-11, it was a horrible day for us that we can't just flippantly toss aside. She has a problem with the way she disrespects and hit a very sore spot this time.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@423488,curiosi] I've seen her speech and I don't see what she said that was disrespectful.

She was strident yes, but her point was about Muslims standing up for themselves and not expecting to be judged by the actions of terrorists.
curiosi · 56-60, F
[@422868,Burnley123] She has been extremely insensitive since the day she got to DC. We have come to expect rudeness and anti-patriot from her. She needs to tone things down. She is the congresswoman of Minnesota NOT America.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@423488,curiosi] I dunno. Surely Congress people speak on America wide issues? MPs here are elected in one place but are expected to talk on national issues.

She's strident and you disagree with her but I can't see what was disrespectful about what she said.
This message was deleted.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@594122,swandfriends] please read this if you want my thoughts on the reasons why it's wrong to judge all Muslims by terrorists. It's has 19 hearts and 300+ views.

https://similarworlds.com/18-Politics/853570-The-tragedy-of-the-Manchester-bombing-and-its
swandfriends · 36-40, F
You're not living amongst them in their own countries. If you were, you would think differently I'm sure
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@594122,swandfriends] London is quite muli cultural so and I'm gonna call you up on the idea that Britain is not 'their' country.

You've asked for my experience so I'll return the question: What experience to you have of knowing Muslim people? Reading Breitbart articles doesn't count.
Yes, even lies he’s told about 9/11, like U.S. Muslims cheering (total bull crap as he’s never provided [b]any[/b] evidence), lies he’s perpetuated about Muslims in Europe, are specifically Islamphobic. But then he’s a racist and xenophobe, so it’s par for the course with him.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] I guess Trump is normalising the extreme. We can't ever forget that this is not normal and not OK for a politician.
[@422868,Burnley123] Omar was getting death threats before this, simply for being an African Muslim in Congress. So now the president is actively attacking a member of his [b]own[/b] government based upon her religion. Why wouldn’t his white supremacist supporters take their cues from him ? It’s frightening.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] That is too true. 'Mainstream' Conservatives want to deny that but this is one of the things he does.
SmartKat · 51-55, F
Yes. Donald makes everything worse with his bullying and his overblown rhetoric.
This message was deleted.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@894913,PeachesGR] OK. Think that if you like.
PeachesGR · 56-60, F
[@422868,Burnley123] Having a counter argument, just in case I'll need it....is pedantic....🤦‍♀️
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@894913,PeachesGR] I'm a seasoned laptop warrior and I know my strategy. 😜
CountScrofula · 36-40, M
He legitimately seems like he's trying to get her killed.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@624254,CountScrofula] I think he's just going for cheap shot political capital, as usual. I don't think he cares at all either way.
CountScrofula · 36-40, M
[@422868,Burnley123] Yeah you're probably right. Lemme rephrase.

This kind of stuff could get her killed and he's so clued out from the concept of consequences he doesn't particularly care.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@624254,CountScrofula] Absolutely.
This message was deleted.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@894913,PeachesGR] since the start of his election campaign, if not before. Sometimed though, the obvious needs restating.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M

I'm leaving this here if anyone wants to know why I think it's so wrong to blame the entire Muslim community for terrorism.

Its a British context but its the same analysis for elsewhere.
satanburger · 31-35, F
Yeah understanding comes with knowing. Trump is basically stoking fears of a population who most likely have never went out of their way to personally know Muslims.

Let's be honest, most of them are Evangelicals and usually they are the doom types or the only one god types or the sinner apocalyptic types.

So yeah feeding on the fear with those types of people are going to cause their already heightened sense of false persecutory delusions is not going to end well.
CountScrofula · 36-40, M
[@394395,satanburger] I find the most intense Islamophobes have never exchanged two words with a Muslim.

Updated: 1 min ago

Is Trump responsible for increasing Islamaphobia? | Politics | Similar Worlds