Is a Gerneral Election the only way to break the Brexit gridlock?
Today MPs voted to extend the Brexit deadline but also voted (by about 80%) not to have a second referendum. May has pretended to offer labour MPs a deal and offered almost nothing, gone back to Brussels to renegotiate what couldn't be renegotiated and failed. Tory MPs voted to have a leadership contest but then voted to (more or less) keep her in place.

Its a PM with no authority, leading a party with no majority trying to deal with a complex historically important issue which nobody in the country can agree on. We can't extend the deadline forever and something has to give. I think eventually there will be some kind of Brexit but not a hard Brexit and nobody will be happy.

The twin truths are that the referendum voted to leave the EU and that there is no mandate to change that. Also that Brexit is more complex than anyone imagined and that it can't deliver what it promised.
3
|
room101 · 46-50, M
A General Election would achieve nothing because, every party is so fractured on the issue of our EU membership that it would very much be a case of SSDD. With, possibly, a different brand at the helm.

The simple fact is that Parliament doesn't know what it wants. That wont change all because of a General Election.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@176964,room101] That is not an unreasonable point but do you have a better idea?
room101 · 46-50, M
[@422868,Burnley123] The same idea that I've had all along. It's twofold.

1. Parliament to accept the referendum result. Regardless of how disastrous that result was. And to mitigate that disaster by:

2. Parliament to unite behind the government so that realistic changes could be put to the EU on the Withdrawal Agreement. Which was drafted by the EU, NOT Theresa May.

Obviously the staunch Brexiteers won't do this but, in terms of Parliamentary numbers, there are enough Remainers to make it work. I would also argue that there are enough level headed Brexiteers who could be persuaded that a "No Deal Brexit" is the wrong way to go. We've seen that in the recent Parliamentary debates and votes.

Pikachu Best Answer
Sounds about right.
Seems like it was a mistake in the first place given that there was no plan to exit.
I honestly think that the politicians pushing brexit didn't really believe it would happen.

Now britain is stuck leaving the EU but rejecting any of the plans but also rejecting leaving without a plan🤦
Quizzical · 41-45, M
[@360493,Pikachu] The powers that be were complacent and so out of touch with public opinion that they never considered a leave result was possible... Which in itself is rather worrying.
Platinum · M
WTO is the plan and it would be so much better than the scaremongers would let you believe...[@360493,Pikachu]
Quizzical · 41-45, M
First things first, get rid of Theresa Mayhem
ChasingBrainBros · 31-35, M
I don't think anyone can fix the brexit mess and stay in government afterwards; because the brave thing to do is get elected, immediately revoke article 50 for the good of the nation, then resign.

Everyone including Corbyn wants power rather than what's best.
Platinum · M
It's not an insult when it's the truth I caught you lying and when I called you out you never replied...I'm very calm...when I talk about brexit I put my points of view from facts, but you lie and repeat lies you see on the news or papers and you don't like the fact I know so much more than you....so you have a nice evening while I go out and enjoy myself, as you don't have much of a life..bye[@422868,Burnley123]
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@827015,Platinum] Fwiw I have a busy social weekend lined up and SW is something I do to chill. If your social life is as great as your intellect then few people are gonna be jealous. I just don't see soneone with your manners or level stubbornness being that popular for some reason. 🤔
Platinum · M
Pathetic attempt , I've got more friends than you will ever have...now run along little boy and play with your toys...wimp[@422868,Burnley123]
MartinII · 61-69, M
Strictly speaking the Commons voted to ask the EU’s permission to extend the Brexit deadline, which might not be granted, but that’s a pedantic point.

I agree with you that there should be a general election. The government has tried, cackhandedly, to do what the referendum asked it to do, and Parliament has, so far, frustrated that attempt. So the electorate should be given the opportunity to replace the present Parliament with a better one. Whether that would, in practice, break the deadlock is of course another matter.
Platinum · M
[@268418,MartinII] both big parties said they would implement brexit and have gone back on their word, who could we trust...
MartinII · 61-69, M
[@827015,Platinum] Well, to be fair, the government has tried to implement Brexit (not very well, obviously) but has been frustrated by a combination of the opposition and remainers in its own ranks. And the behaviour of the ERG, justified as their arguments may be in substance, hasn’t helped.
Platinum · M
My own opinion is that since the referendum result most of them have worked together to stop us leaving and that includes May..why do you think they voted down another referendum vote when most of them wanted one it was in case the people still voted leave and then they would have found it hard to cancel it then.....[@268418,MartinII]
Picklebobble2 · 51-55, M
Wouldn't help.

In signing up to the EU, we wound ourselves so tightly to an ideology so foreign to our own, it bred mistrust and animosity rather than this 'Spirit of co-operation' which it was supposed to represent.

Didn't help that Thatcher's reign sold off every national asset we had so couldn't hope to compete with other nations national assets as a result !

I think the Maastricht treaty in '92. sealed the UK's fate.

And 15 years later, a government struggling with internal debt plunged the country into poverty not seen since the war years !

Poor planning both at home (Baby boomers retiring; umpteen poor Budgets; Area health authority re-organizations; GP vs Hospital funding crisis; Universal credit....etc) and by committing so much to the EU that most folk don't see the benefit of,and some wag's 'idea' to say they could bring that money home, has lead to the mess we're in today.

I think there's so little trust in our elected representatives a general election won't solve anything. And we'll just be back here saying the same thing a year; two; five; ten years time.

It's a sad, sorry state of affairs.
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@448576,Picklebobble2] I am a Remain voter but I'm a Eurosceptic remainer btw. EU bad, Brexit worse is pretty much what I think. Everything is a mess but something has to give and right now this looks like the only solution.
Picklebobble2 · 51-55, M
[@422868,Burnley123] For me, this is about [b]Which is worse ? Being ruled by the EU and all that entails. OR, putting your faith;money;trust;pension etc. in the hands of politicians who quite frankly, i couldn't trust if my life depended on it ![/b]
Jackjjacksonjr · 56-60, M
Correction. The country voted to do it.
Jackjjacksonjr · 56-60, M
Wrong again Burnsie. Article 50 states:

[quote]The right of a Member State to withdraw from the European Union was introduced for the first time with the Lisbon Treaty; the possibility of withdrawal was highly controversial before that. Article 50 TEU does not set down any substantive conditions for a Member State to be able to exercise its right to withdraw, rather it includes only procedural requirements. It provides for the negotiation of a withdrawal agreement between the EU and the withdrawing state, defining in particular the latter's future relationship with the Union. If no agreement is concluded within two years, that state's membership ends automatically, unless the European Council and the Member State concerned decide jointly to extend this period.
The legal consequence of a withdrawal from the EU is the end of the application of the EU Treaties (and the Protocols thereto) in the state concerned from that point on. EU law ceases to apply in the withdrawing state, although any national acts adopted in implementation or transposition of EU law would remain valid until the national authorities decide to amend or repeal them. A withdrawal agreement would need to address the phasing-out of EU financial programmes and other EU norms.
Experts agree that in order to replace EU law, specifically in any field of exclusive EUcompetence, the withdrawing state would need to enact substantial new legislation and that, in any case, complete isolation of the withdrawing state from the effects of the EU acquis would be impossible if there is to be a future relationship between former Member State and the EU. Furthermore, a withdrawal agreement could contain provisions on the transitional application of EU rules, in particular with regard to rights deriving from EU citizenship and to other rights deriving from EU law, which would otherwise extinguish with the withdrawal[/quote][@422868,Burnley123]
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@1158,Jackjjacksonjr] Mate, you don't have a clue. It's a wall of text that does nothing for your point. What is relitugare, anyway?

Article 50 wax deliberately designed to make it hard to leave because it put negotiating power in the hand of the EU.
Jackjjacksonjr · 56-60, M
Yep. The vote was held. Times up. [@422868,Burnley123]
Rhodesianman · 51-55, M
The politicians don't know what they want . They voted down everything except an extension .So whats the point of an extension if the politicians don't know what they want an extension for .Lets trust the rezilience of the british people and just leave in march and start putting in place what is needed to leave without a deal .
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@470110,Rhodesianman] Thank you for supporting the great multiculturalism of this country and your fellow migrants.
Babylon · F
I think we should have a referendum on whether or not we should have another referendum. It can't be any more stupid than whatever else is going on
Burnley123 · 36-40, M
[@406205,Babylon] Yeah a Brexit deal really should and that was (and still is) the only way of getting a deal through parliament.
Picklebobble2 · 51-55, M
[@406205,Babylon] 😵
Picklebobble2 · 51-55, M
[@422868,Burnley123] 😵😵😵
LvChris · 36-40, M
I think all your officials need to pull up their big boy pants, stop worrying about being reelected, and tell the country that brexit is cancelled because it'll be disastrous for the nation.

They won't be reelected, but the UK won't turn into a disastrous clusterfuck of a nation that looks at Greece's success with envy.
RyanUK · 26-30, M
[@827015,Platinum] I've said that for months. Germany and France will be banging down Liam Fox's door to do a deal. Factories full of unsold cars are no use to them
Nyloncapes · 56-60, M
[@827015,Platinum] I know what you mean , do they honesty believe that Merkel and macron do not want to trade with us, they would have to go to there people and tell them thousands of jobs are going, because of we tried to teach the UK a lesson in wanting to leave, and other countries goods stuck at docks that they can't sell to us, Ireland prime minister said they would need a loan from EU and thousands of jobs lost, I just can't see how these people think that these countries won't trade with us
Platinum · M
[@335805,LvChris] we are nothing like Greece , they are broke and we are the fifth strongest economy in the world and London one of the top financial capitals of the world...every big country in the world wants to trade with us....

Is a Gerneral Election the only way to break the B... | Politics | Similar Worlds