Orange County Was Set to House the Homeless, and There Was a Popular Revolt
I always thought it was pretty obvious that we are going to have a growing homeless population even when i was a kid. My idea is to give big tax breaks to people who adopt homeless families. And they need to build homeless centers to actually house them and get them back into society. They could always buy empty hotels. This is what i wanted to do if i ever won the lottery. What is your great idea for helping the homeless?
1
|
hippyjoe1955 · 61-69, M
I find them jobs. First they work for my company as they get clean and sober and help with their mental illnesses. Then I help them find permanent work and a place to live.
bunny61 · 56-60, F
[@10033,hippyjoe1955] someone needs to help them first so they can then help themselves
bunny61 · 56-60, F
[@10033,hippyjoe1955] then his alcoholism was not truly addressed is always a reason why an alcoholic who wants to quit goes right back to it
bunny61 · 56-60, F
[@106578,Faerylight] too late
I volunteer with a shelter that feeds and provides beds and showers regularly, as well as clean donated clothes, but there are so many people, more and more daily. And many are people with jobs, who simply can’t afford housing with the outrageous rents.
bunny61 · 56-60, F
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] you are wonderful
[@70398,bunny61] Thank you. I wish we could do more. Your idea sounds great, because a lot of those hotels just sit around empty until they catch fire from squatters. There are other commercial buildings that remain vacant, could also be used that way, maybe with huge breaks on property taxes as incentive to their owners.
bunny61 · 56-60, F
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] good points
Experienced33 · 51-55, M
Mrs. Ray Kroc (McDonalds) had a very large center in San Diego...painted pink...
bunny61 · 56-60, F
[@493455,Experienced33] sweet
Graylight · F
It's not just housing. It's not enough to turn hotels into living domiciles for the homeless. Osceola County, FL turned every hotel on its tourist strip into this (stay on Disney property!!) and it becomes loitering under a roof.

This isn't to say the homeless don't want or won't take help. It's that, after low-rent housing, they have no other resources. Mental health services, addiction counseling, resume workshops, job training, day care and after school programs...so much is needed to create a community of people who can rise above their luck and circumstances.

Maybe if we spent less on the "war on drugs," locking up petty offenders or, say, spending tens of thousands of dollars on media reports to see what Stormy Daniels said in the media (ahem...Trump), there'd be funding available to truly help.

There are some programs underway now who house, then train and work with the homeless and their results have been very promising.
bunny61 · 56-60, F
[@3557,puck61] i think it is time for some other form of life to take over the world
puck61 · 56-60, M
[@70398,bunny61] I'm not quite that cynical. For all our faults, humans are still pretty awesome as a general rule.
bunny61 · 56-60, F
[@3557,puck61] you must be talking about other humans
Xuan12 · 26-30, M
State owned farming communes. Have the downtrodden grow food and develop housing. Use the excess food to stock welfare pantries for other poor families.
bunny61 · 56-60, F
[@375377,Xuan12] interesting
katielass · F
Depriving them of drugs and alcohol.
Fernie · F
Rent control for one thing. I don't think people who rent in a home that is all paid for, no mortgage, should be able to charge obscene amounts of money for their own profit. There is not enough affordable housing...anywhere
bhatjc · 41-45, M
There is a lot of empty hotels around in the OC. Have they thought of stuffing them up near Disneyland.
bhatjc · 41-45, M
[@627992,Graylight] Don't live in that OC. Yeah that is true. I have heard it is getting worse.
bunny61 · 56-60, F
[@627992,Graylight] THAT IS SO WEIRD.
DISNEY WORLD IS SURROUNDED BY HOMELESS. that is up there with Hollywood being filled with homeless. i could cry...
Graylight · F
[@70398,bunny61] If you really want to cry, check out the movie The Florida Project. Not a great film, but it'll show you with 100% accuracy the area right around Disney.

Orange County Was Set to House the Homeless, and T... | Politics | Similar Worlds