Parenting & Family

I found marijuana in my son’s room?
My son is 13 years old and started his first year in a new school this year. It’s his first year in middle school as well as his first in public school so I was a little worried that my son might encounter some bad influences. He’s been a good student and even better kid his whole life. I understand it is not as dangerous as other drugs but it is a gateway and illegal. How should I approach this?
3
|
MasterLee · 51-55, M
Report it and get the one that sold it arrested.
Catholicmamma · 56-60, F
[@9463,MasterLee] I feel like I can get him to stop without involving the police.
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@558462,Catholicmamma] It is not good for a developing brain or for adolescent social development either. Explain that to him.
However, it is an exaggeration to say it will destroy his brain; it's,not Alzheimer's. Teens need to experience a certain amount of stress as part of learning to tolerate it and marijuana does not help them do that.
MasterLee · 51-55, M
[@358142,greenmountaingal] people who smoke pot at his age do indeed destroy their brain. I have known many kids who did. As they get older their only ambition is to get more. All they discuss is pot, smoking pot, where to get it, getting high...later they promote it as a miracle cure all drug. The problem is, learning is sacrificed. No education, no job, just pot.

Have you discussed the subject of drugs with him?

Is it a public school in a good neighborhood?
Catholicmamma · 56-60, F
[@414490,VeronicaJane] His school is in a good neighborhood thankfully. I have discussed the topic of drugs with him a few times but apparently not as much as I should’ve.
Jackaloftheazuresand · 22-25, M
make him smoke it all right now
taehyun · 18-21, F
talk to him one on one with it
Halvzies
That seems like an awful situation to be in.
Steve42 · 51-55, M
I smoked pot in middle school, I turned out ok. As a parent I preferred my kids drank and partied at home. If their friends were involved I told them to get permission from their parents and I did call each and everyone, every time. Better at home than have to drive, or do in a less safe place. Also allowed me to monitor.
Steve42 · 51-55, M
[@131646,Steve42] Also cranked out two eagle scouts and all three in college on scholarships.
Might thoughts. Better then some crack den down in the projects.. [@131646,Steve42]
Effloresce · 22-25, F
Talk to him about how drugs affect the brain. If anything at least he’ll be educated on how drugs alter one's mental state.
juiceyangel333 · 26-30, F
Why are you snooping around?
Catholicmamma · 56-60, F
[@6492,juiceyangel333] Please, I’m his mother. If I didn’t snoop around his room once in awhile I wouldn’t be doing my job.
Cervincio · 56-60, M
You are partially correct. MJ IS harmful to brain development in those under age 25. Maybe that's the angle you should approach from.

Parenting & Family

I found marijuana in my son’s room? | Parenting & Family | Similar Worlds