Health

Have you had shingles before?
Is it really all that painful?
4
|
Miklee02 · 46-50, F
My sons girlfriend had them... broke out on her face she said it was awful.... and it looked awful too
DropsOfPain · 26-30, F
[@20460,Miklee02] That sucks. This woman I’m talking about is 37.
Miklee02 · 46-50, F
[@509132,DropsOfPain] see.... way more common than we think
DropsOfPain · 26-30, F
[@20460,Miklee02] I thought since she was nearing 40 it was a little more expected but damn yeah that’s a bad situation.
I haven't, but I know someone who has. For that person, one with a high tolerance for pain, the pain was extreme, 8-9 on the pain scale.
DropsOfPain · 26-30, F
[@682150,wordswithstrangers] Changed how?
[@509132,DropsOfPain] She was emotional, easily brought to tears and angry.
DropsOfPain · 26-30, F
[@682150,wordswithstrangers] Damn.
Zakblood · 36-40, M
No, I haven't as I got the shot for it but one of my closest friends has it and gets outbreaks a couple of times a year. Painful and itchy and very ugly.
Zakblood · 36-40, M
[@509132,DropsOfPain] First time on his lower back. Made it hard for him to sit down.
DropsOfPain · 26-30, F
[@689994,Zakblood] Why does it recur? Does he have a weak immune system or something?
Zakblood · 36-40, M
[@509132,DropsOfPain] He lets himself get run down and that's usually when he has a bout with it. I can tell by the expression on his face that it's bothering him.
Toasty · 18-21, M
once on my hip. It weren't that bad. It was only bad if it was touched.
Toasty · 18-21, M
[@509132,DropsOfPain] waist area but lower
DropsOfPain · 26-30, F
[@366510,Toasty] Did you take any meds?
Toasty · 18-21, M
[@509132,DropsOfPain] yeah I did. they were huge tablets if I remember right. it was a few years ago.
Justme264 · 61-69, M
Yes can be but I found the drainig effect worse... I just felt drained and lethargic and aching ... like flu.

Had it in one area around my waist
Justme264 · 61-69, M
Is it not part of the chicken pox virus,family?

Or rather, do adults sometimes come down with it after exposure to children with chicken pox if they are run down enough... or is that an urban myth?
DropsOfPain · 26-30, F
[@391278,Justme264] Yes from what I read it’s the same virus that causes chicken pox (varicella zoster) but I’m not sure about the exposure to children thing.
Justme264 · 61-69, M
Me neither, but being run down or exhausted can be a factor I understand
DarkSky · 51-55, M
Not personally but have known many who have. Extremely painful
Carla1951 · 61-69, F
Not myself, yet have known a few that have. NOTE: Wash your hands well if you touch. It is highly contagious. Know you cannot do this alone!
DropsOfPain · 26-30, F
[@380583,Carla1951] I have read it’s contagious from one person to another but only if you haven’t got chicken pox before otherwise nah.
indyjoe · 51-55, M
I've never had it, but I've personally known people who have (My Dad is battling with as I write this)...and yes, the say it is one of the most miserable things you can have. They've all said it's so painful that they can't even stand to wear clothes. If you've had chicken pox then you have the virus and could possibly get them.
DropsOfPain · 26-30, F
[@676121,indyjoe] Your dad is taking any meds for it? Also how long it’s been since he got it?
indyjoe · 51-55, M
There's not a lot that can be done about it except take some antibiotics (for the infectious blisters and such-they won't work on a virus), it pretty much has to run it's course. It also can reoccur, this is the second time He's had it. The virus that causes it just lies dormant in your system. So far he's had it for about a week and a half.
Carla1951 · 61-69, F
I did assist a friend who had them. He wasn't able to place the salve on his back, so I helped. Pain? Shingles contributed to his Stroke!

Health

Have you had shingles before? | Health | Similar Worlds