I Am Algerian

I believe higher education should never be based on financial capability

But I have seen cases where the vast majority of students do not value learning because they are paying nothing. They go to colleges, sign attendance and act completely uninterested.

Lot of them use it to be free from their families. A chance to do what they want away from their parents' control , and later in life whine about being unemployed when there aren't enough work positions created for everyone who barely managed to graduate.

Thousands of graduates who have no competencies refusing to do any work that doesn't match their useless degrees.
DUMBSHlT · 22-25, M
Just make it free for people that are broke but smart and expensive for people that are dumb as shit and rich
Miram · 26-30, F
[@1127345,GermanAf] it seems to be a politics' thing. When they want to please the population, they make it super easy for students to win the baccalaureate, which is the only tests required to join university.

Maybe some president in the future will change that pattern.
DUMBSHlT · 22-25, M
[@542305,Miram] Only if they give a shit. Which I doubt they do.
Mordi · 26-30, M
Answering this question isn't really part of my degree qualifications. Sorry. 😔
Classified · M
I didn't know it was that bad 😥
Miram · 26-30, F
[@444927,Classified] I think it's the case in the middle east too not just north africa
Classified · M
[@542305,Miram] I thought you meant Western universities 😅
I think I have heard that in some countries you have to get really good grades to be able to go to college for free or low cost

Some students pay a looot of money out of their own pocket and still don't seem to care. I don't get it.

*edit, I didn't finish my first thought :p Obviously you have to have passable grades to get into college regardless of if you are paying or not
Miram · 26-30, F
[@405723,AmbivalentFriability]

which countries?
Rooster · M
Although I never got a chance to go to college, I know exactly what you mean. Two people I know just played the game in college and got their degrees and neither are working now and I doubt they really want to either. It's a shame when you have people that really want to learn and improve their lives and then the free loaders!
SwampFlower · 26-30, F
It should be free until you fail out. Then you have to pay it all back. Instead they inflate grades and I have to babysit adult children when doing group work 🤣
Miram · 26-30, F
[@871066,SwampFlower] Yes, false grades and low quality tests is another common problem here.
Mugin16 · 41-45, M
Yes, that is true. Universities were never designed for mass education. Only the best should go to universities.
That's the way it is in the United States for the most part, college tuition is easy to get but many degrees are worthless in the real world ..
Student loans are available to just about anyone and BA and Associates degree programs can be for anything, not necessarily something useful in the business world.
My niece has two degrees, one in modern dance and the other in classic English literature.. she's a nanny.
That's one problem, another is that there are many useless schools giving out useless degrees that are fund by the state. A safe space for teachers detached and protected from the demands of the market with no real practice or the obsolete practice in the subject they teach so students leave with heads stuffed with theory and sadly, often propaganda too and with no real experience that would meet the demands of the market.

College is not expensive here, in fact it's not hard to earn more on scholarships than what you invested in education but in the end, yes, those who couldn't afford even that small tuition and had to work instead partially fund all this circus through their taxes. That's a sad reality of today...Not that the education was funded well, it's underpaid but what is the point of it all in the end? It's not even in the interest of the teachers to let students fail because then their financial support would be cut even more. They let them pass to keep a certain number and keep their position safe.

This is a very interesting documentary film from China. It shows three kids from different social classes and their access to education. Yuan Hanhan is an excellent example of a kid from a rich family.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJlN-YbdDE&ab_channel=%E4%B8%80%E6%9D%A1Yit]
Sibo191 · 36-40, M
I get your point. Even america's sorry ass student debt system has this same issue.

The kids aren't paying for don't care much about it and come out as dumb as they went in.

There definitely should be some sort of tangible value that both goes into and comes out of it.

What that would be, I have no fucking clue... Money makes the world go round

I Am Algerian