I Roll With The Punches

The power’s been out for hours and chainsaws are in the background taking care of trees knocked over but we’re making the most of this beautiful day

BecaA57 · 61-69, F
Looks like a very nice day for you
Like your spirit !
LunarOrbit · 56-60, M
Hope everyones ok
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@488176,LunarOrbit] We’re right as rain and as far as I know there’s no injuries from the storms 🙏🏻
LunarOrbit · 56-60, M
[@436944,PerfectionOfTheHeart] Good to hear.
Hope you get back to normal soon.
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@488176,LunarOrbit] Normalcy came 🙂
Any sign of power?
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@6757,questionWeaver] It came back a half hour ago or so. There’s still others without power so we’re blessed. Those storms were no joke.
[@436944,PerfectionOfTheHeart] truly ... good to see you got power before nightfall
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@6757,questionWeaver] Yeah, was afraid of that as well but was starting to make the preparations for it.
AllAboutLaffs · 70-79, M
Did you lose any more trees ??
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@1250,AllAboutLaffs] Hope y’all weathered the storms well.
AllAboutLaffs · 70-79, M
[@436944,PerfectionOfTheHeart] Hey thanks !! ... I'm a little south of Nashville ... I didn't get much of anything at all yesterday
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@1250,AllAboutLaffs] So awesome to hear that 🙂
You are the rockstar of power outage cooking. 😋😋😋😋
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@78387,Stereoguy] Had the hot dogs and mallows ready for it going into the night.
swirlie · 31-35, F
[c=008099]
What about solar power or a generator as a backup power source for you?[/c]
swirlie · 31-35, F
[@436944,PerfectionOfTheHeart]
[c=008099]
Okay, I know exactly what you have now. The good news is, you have two sources of telephone communication available to you. Both however, are totally dependent on electrical power coming into the house for either of those two sources to be considered reliable phone services, unlike the old fashioned Southern Bell land-line service which does not ever require household electrical current for the telephone to function.

Southern Bell uses an independent power source generated from some remote location and independent of the power grid, to keep your land-line phone service operating during a power outage affecting the home. Land-line telephones are therefore independent of the power grid and independent of the internet for them to function. During a complete power failure, the land-line telephone therefore always works indefinitely no matter what's happening with the electrical power coming into the house.

However, cellphones and internet phone services go dead during a power outage! Here's why:

When the household electrical power goes out in a storm, your internet system also goes out because it is electrically powered. Your internet phone is now dead in theory.

The good news is, you will likely have an integral battery-backup for your internet phone service in case the power does in fact go out, but that battery-backup will only supply power to your internet phone for 8 hours max. When the battery goes dead, so does your internet phone. No longer theory, but now fact.

What most people don't know is that home internet telephone service uses that 'battery power' at all times, day or night, as it's normal operating source of power even when the electrical power coming into the house is up and running just fine.

An integral internet-phone battery charger is then used constantly day and night to keep the internet-phone back-up battery fully charged during normal operating times, BUT that battery charger is powered by electricity. Bad news!

What this means is, when the electrical power goes out from a storm, the battery charger no longer charges your internet-phone back-up battery. After 8 hours, your internet phone goes dead. This is for real, for real this time.

And, if your cellphones go dead because you cannot charge them inside the house, you no longer have ANY telephone service available should an in-home emergency develop while the electrical power is out. If you have a phone charger in your car, that would be the only way of charging your cell phone.

Having a standby generator installed to your home however, will provide power to your internet's phone service battery charger, as well as to your cell phones when in-home charging is required.

Your entire telephone service in case you didn't realize it, is completely DEPENDENT upon electricity flowing into your home for them to function beyond the limited battery time available. As mentioned earlier, old fashioned land-lines do not have this problem.

The biggest problem that was encountered last winter with the snow storms ripping through Texas, was the inability for people to charge cellphones because all power to the electrical grid was off for many days.

Then, they couldn't buy gas for their car to run the engine to charge their cellphones because there was no power available at the gas station to pump the gas from underground storage tanks into the cars in most cases. When the gas tank in the car went dry, they could no longer charge their phones from their cars.

What this meant was, nobody could call 911 during that Texas snowstorm. And if your electrical power goes out in a storm, neither can you after about 8 hours.

And no, I am not a generator sales person who works on commission! lol![/c]
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@332402,swirlie] At our old place, the modem/router had a backup battery that provided additional power in the event of a power outage. It was a very small amount of time though. The new one they installed has no battery backup whatsoever. Because yesterday’s power outage was up there in scale for this area, I was this close to making a trip to town for external batteries as our cell phones dwindled quickly. I didn’t want us enduring the night without that safety net, but thankfully it was restored right as I was gathering the kids together.

What happened with Texas was so devastating. It was hard to watch so I can only imagine what it was like actually living through it. I know technology has to evolve as it’s part of learning how much we can advance as a society one step at a time, but I do wish some things, like landlines, were kept simple and not so dependent on technological advances. I’m sure the “old way” of having the phone system wasn’t feasible in some way and that’s why they modernized it, but to not have to worry about phone service with lengthy power outages would be nice.

😂. You’ve been so informative when it comes to this. Thank you again so much.
swirlie · 31-35, F
[@436944,PerfectionOfTheHeart]
[c=008099]
You are very welcome! It was fun for me to research all this stuff for you![/c]
Pinkstarburst · 51-55, F
I’m glad you are safe. Impromptu camping at its finest. 🤗
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@6912,Pinkstarburst] Absolutely ☺️
ZombiesAteMyArm · 36-40, M
[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yLlG1POr9c]
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@441788,ZombiesAteMyArm] Oh. My. Gawd. I really don’t like that you just threw one of my favorite songs ever out there.
ZombiesAteMyArm · 36-40, M
[@436944,PerfectionOfTheHeart] HEY, it's one of mine, too!
Teslin · 61-69, M
I hope everyone is safe!!
PerfectionOfTheHeart · 41-45, F
[@1025426,Teslin] All is well 🙂

I Roll With The Punches