I Love 50s Music

BUDDY HOLLY - 'True Love Ways' (1959). In the latter part of 1958, Buddy Holly left his band the Crickets and went to live in New York, where he recorded this with a string arrangement by the Dick Jacobs Orchestra. It was one of many departures in style for Holly during his short career - he was 22 when he died in February, 1959 - and one which was to cause speculation as to his future direction had he lived. This slow dance number with a very pretty sax part is my favourite of the 'New York' tracks,of which there were three others: 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore', 'Moondreams' and 'Raining In My Heart'. A far cry from his rockabilly beginnings, and a fine recording in true stereo.
[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9J9FlarNOA]
Hasmita · M
Took me years to realize the Beatles was a play on words based on the Crickets.
His music was the first I bought at 14.
supersnipe · 61-69, M
[@106695,Hasmita] If memory serves it was Lennon who came up with that. '...from Crickets, I got Beatles'. It was appropriate because Holly's band were forerunners of the Beatles in a variety of ways.

I Love 50s Music
Anyone who is a fan of old blue eyes (of course), Nat King Cole, Julie London, Tony Bennett...