I Like Nerds

How do anti-viruses decide which websites to block?

Avast for instance.

Do they have a list of them and if the search matches, they block it?

I notice some of the websites blocked are about free access to movies and books, they don't necessarily contain malware.
Classified · M
My anti-virus usually claims "this site is known for it's malware"
Miram · 26-30, F
[@444927,Classified] Known by who? Like what are the standards? Were the websites actually tested?
Classified · M
[@542305,Miram] No idea. I kinda just trust my antivirus.
They collect information from users computers about where and how they find malware
[@542305,Miram] https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/technology/kaspersky-lab-israel-russia-hacking.amp.html
Miram · 26-30, F
[@417364,Ozymandias] That's pretty interesting. I keep my anti-virus off except when I do an occasional scan.

I wonder if that makes any difference at all when it comes to the files they can access.

I may have to hide all my porn and nudes somewhere else, just in case I run for presidency.
[@542305,Miram] send them to me for safe keeping 😂
PhpPhoenix · 31-35, M
Promising free stuff is a great way to make people download your malware, so such sites do indeed often host viruses.
Miram · 26-30, F
[@1125975,PhpPhoenix] The sites I frequent don't require downloading either.

I am leaning on the conclusion it has more to do with the fact that the access is free
PhpPhoenix · 31-35, M
[@542305,Miram] it is possible that they also block sites that infringe copyright, under the cover of protecting you against viruses. Malware can also be included in ads or streams though. We probably will never know what the true reason is.
🤔 i have no idea.

I Like Nerds