I Blah Blah Blah

Throwing money away

I need to get out of here. The fact that I can work remotely anywhere makes no sense for me financially to live in a high cost of living area of the country. I feel like I am just throwing my money away on rent when I could be saving it or investing it if I was living somewhere I wasn't paying out the ass in rent for. I don't have family here anymore other than my son who's old enough to decide for himself where he wants to live. When I sold my home the only reason I stayed here was because my work would only give me 3 days off and I didn't feel like I had enough time to clean, move and facilitate a cross-country move in 3 days. Now I've been thinking a lot about just selling everything so that when I move it will just be what I can fit in my car and my dog. I don't know I'm just randomly thinking tonight about the state of my financial future and how I feel like I'm just burning my money away by paying too high of housing costs. I'm a bit of a financial geek and I spend a lot of time researching stocks and investing but I don't have the funds to do what I want because I'm spending too much just living. I don't know I guess I'm just blah blah blahing tonight
geoam1 · 51-55, M
If you can work remotely I would move some place where housing is cheaper and buy a home
TheFragile · 41-45, F
[@100938,geoam1] The housing market is really bonkers right now for buyers though. I'm not willing to pay thousands over asking price for house right now.
geoam1 · 51-55, M
[@326696,TheFragile] no but you can start setting the financing up and aside for when it stabilizes
TheFragile · 41-45, F
[@100938,geoam1] Yes and if I'm living somewhere more affordable I can save more and put a bigger down payment down when the time comes
fun4us2b · 61-69, M
If you do go minimally like you say, you can try an area out by renting before you buy, besides, prices are crazy now. Also, did you pay capital gains on the house you sold? You have one year to reinvest - unless that's already resolved.
JoyfulSilence · 46-50, M
I wish you luck!

I am stuck in the DC area because that is where my job is. Although with the success of full telework during the pandemic, they plan to expand telework when we go back into our DC office. Maybe up to 2 days a week! It used to be like 2 days a month. I never did it before the pandemic and am not sure if I want to continue. I mostly just do not want to have to haul my laptop back and forth. It was annoyingly heavy! Although I do have little luggage with wheels I could use.

I Blah Blah Blah