I Am An Atheist

I love talking about religion. I also love to argue. Religion is the perfect subject. The other day I was talking to my dad's wife's son about christianity. He brought it up. I ran circles around him! Considering he's a big christi...
Rollercoaster97 · 46-50, F
Nice.
Ambroseguy80 · 51-55, M
Glad that makes you feel better
Oh I bet it feels really good to shatter people's beliefs like that?

What happened to live and let live?

Sorry you're a demonic atheist you must have different morals?
Sunnysideup · 51-55, F
If someone's belief is so easily shattered it wasn't too strong to begin with. And if logic wins over fairytales, well, that just seems like a win.
I suppose I felt a little uncomfortable and someone rejoicing in such away art he destruction of someone's faith.

That was all
Doomflower · 36-40, F
I don't think I shattered his beliefs. The indoctrination is strong in that one!

I do live and let live. I don't run around telling people their beliefs are a lie. He brought up the subject and even asked me my thoughts.

I was being facetious with he "demonic atheist" thing. I don't believe in demons. Morally I am a universal utilitarian I guess. As a matter of facts I have strong moral beliefs. For example I think the idea of substitutiary atonement to be highly immoral.

It does feel good to practice crushing apologetic arguments with logic. Even if he doesn't end up agreeing with me it is exercise for my logic claws.
Rollercoaster97 · 46-50, F
I Love when people that say they are christians get put in there place because they really aren't at all.
Doomflower · 36-40, F
No true scottsman fallacy.
hippyjoe1955 · 61-69, M
More likely you were so far behind you thought you were ahead. Atheists were born blind and thus complain mightily when someone tries to explain colour to them.
blackrainbow · 26-30, F
you suck big fat asses.
Sunnysideup · 51-55, F
😂😂😂
Sharon · F
@blackrainbow: Hippyjoe displays typical christian arrogance. If you're not a christian you can't possibly be right.
DrizztMajere · 36-40, M
Why would you run circles around him? Isn't that tiring?
dunpender · 80-89, M
I do wonder how anyone can run circles round either atheism or christianity
Doomflower · 36-40, F
Atheism is not a claim. It is the rejection of the claim that one or more gods exist. At this point I have explained it so many times I am starting to think you're either stupid or deliberately obtuse.

Christianity claims that there is a god and that god sent himself to earth so he could die for human sins so he could forgive humanity for doing things they are naturally inclined to do ever since a rib woman and dirt man ate fruit from a magic tree.

I do not believe any of those claims.
dunpender · 80-89, M
Of course you do not, I on the other hand do. There is nothing I can do to convince you there is a God because there is no proof. You cannot convince me there is no God because there is no proof hence it is not possible to run rings around each other. That should surely be enough?
newjaninev2 · 51-55, F
Dunpender: “neither atheism nor a belief in a supreme being can either be proven or disproved, both are nothing more than faith opinion and belief”

1. there's no proof that gods exist
2. there's no proof that gods don't exist
3. in any event, gods are unnecessary, and the postulation explains nothing... it merely tries to explain everything away.
4. therefore, I have no gods

Where in that do you find faith (i.e. pretence), opinion, or belief?

Where in that do you find something to be either proven or disproven?

In principle, any one of the first three statements can be falsified, and if you can do so, you should do so now.
Like so many theists you easily acknowledge the veracity of the first two statements (then fall back onto the pretence you call ‘faith’), while trying to ignore the third statement. However, until you address the third statement, brushing aside the first two statements is not, despite your suggestion, ‘enough’.
In fact, the problem for belief in magical entities isn't so much proof or disproof... it's the lack of compelling necessity to even make the postulation in the first place.

You may trust that, if I need to, I will be more than happy to repeat all this.
froggtongue · 36-40, M
I perfer more debates rather than arguments. But what gets me the most is the audacity that some religious (even at times nonreligious) people have that without proof one way or the other that their belief is the only way. Christians tend to be bad about it more so than others.
Doomflower · 36-40, F
An argument is a tool you use in a debate. It is not necessarily negative.

The non religious do not need proof. It is hard to understand for many but the burden of proof rests on the positive claim. Theists claim a god or gods exist. The atheist rejects that claim because the theist has not met their burden of proof.

Now atheists who are considered gnostic DO have a burden of proof. However 99% of atheists don't fall into this category - at least not in regards to all god claims.
KingofPizza2 · 36-40, M
Did he throw out the old "God works in mysterious ways" at you? I like that one.
Doomflower · 36-40, F
He didn't. I think he realized he was out of his depth and seemed to get lost in thought.
Selah ·
Thats weird lol

I Am An Atheist
Religion

I love talking about religion. I also love to argu... | I Am An Atheist | Similar Worlds