I Have Random Thoughts

I have random thoughts

I wonder what it is like to have a heritage and a culture you can be proud of.

I don't identify with it much. But I would like to have positive feelings about what I "come from".
HoraceGreenley · 56-60, M
It's awesome and you eat better
Why aren’t you proud of yours?
[@819982,WitchMoth] We haven't done anything to be proud of.
[@405723,AmbivalentFriability] every culture has something to be proud of.
LvChris · 41-45, M
🤔 I've never been concerned with stuff like that. I take pride in the things I've done, not the things that people who aren't me have done. Just as people who are descendants of slave owners or nazis try to point out they are not responsible for the actions of their forebears, I feel that I should not praised or elevated in any way because of the actions of mine.
luctoretemergo · 61-69, M
I'll go out on a limb....why be tied to your "heritage" or "culture"....why not be proud of who you are as a person, what you do, how you exist as a world citizen...that's really more important IMO. I think we're learning that adhering to "culture" and "traditions" can sometimes lead to the same mistakes being repeated over and over....
[@910835,luctoretemergo] I'm not, I've pretty much cut ties with what I come from, aside from trying to learn to do better than what my culture teaches. But it is still something I think of sometimes.
luctoretemergo · 61-69, M
[@405723,AmbivalentFriability] I know sometimes it can hinder people...the freedom of thoughts or expression, etc....your young, you have years and years and years to think about "stuff"....enjoy life!
Miram · 26-30, F
Very conflicting to be honest. Like an identity crisis.
KaysHealingPath · 31-35, F
Sending you hugs. All cultures have things they can be proud or ashamed of.
But you can shape your culture also. We are someone’s history, do something you can be proud of yourself for that one day the generations that come after you (be it your own kids, nieces/nephews or distant relatives) can say “my so and so, was an amazingly good natured human, we are proud of who she is/was and how she carried herself through (insert any number of things here)”

We all face adversity, it may not relate to everyone else’s but it doesn’t make it any less important to who you are as a person!

🤗
[@7704,KaysHealingPath] I don't want to be remembered as part of the culture I come from.

I am an individual. I don't want everything I worked for to be attributed to a culture I do not believe in.

I Have Random Thoughts