I Am African American

I'm tired of some blacks thinking that because they are black, they won't be able to get ahead in life. That's bs.
8
|
AlmightyLoad · 22-25
Only if their was not so much gang culture
I agree. Didn't we just have our first black president? That is the top job in America I thought.
Thank you for sparing us all that pesky social science information gathering and analysis. Why study long term economic and political trends as they relate to race when we can just declare beforehand that there's no such thing as institutional racism? Bravo 👍🏻
autumn25 · 26-30, F
@Laifu1: I'm sorry that your boyfriend went though that. But it didn't stop him from doing what he wanted to do did it? He didn't just give up because of other people's ignorance did he?
@EyeCandy23: Just because you are able to fight for what you want does not mean that you can pretend there is a level playing field. Many people are caught in a cycle of poverty and racism that makes them see no way out. Yes, theoretically anyone can succeed in life. In reality that isn't always the case.
@EyeCandy23: my guess would be that Africans who're let into the country are predisposed to success.
twistermind · 46-50, F
Well, perhaps it's because they didn't find easy in the past. Recognise me that black people were pretty discriminated in the US.
autumn25 · 26-30, F
That was in the past. This is now. Like anyone else, black people have to set goals and work hard to get what they want. No one's going to stop them.
twistermind · 46-50, F
@EyeCandy23: In a recent past. It leaves a mark. And I have my doubts that black people are considered equal nowadays.
Changes in society take a lot of time.
See how long women are fighting to be seen as men and still they don't have the same salaries. At least, in my country.
I take it you aren't black...
@EyeCandy23: This part I agree with. I think that the issues are more with extreme poverty and lack of education and opportunities then with race.
twistermind · 46-50, F
@Laifu1: Agree with that poverty and lack of opportunities are nowadays more obstacles than race. And that the fact that black people along with lathin and other inmigrants are the ones who mainly occupy the most deprived areas contributes to create false stereotypes of races and ethnic groups.

So, it's like a vicious circle.
twistermind · 46-50, F
@EyeCandy23: I read your main post again. Perhaps I'm wrong in my perception but it shocked to me a lot that you weren't the first to understand how people who have seen themselves or their relatives tried in an unfair way, don't feel themselves affected.
It's completely understanable.
I would even say that the picture that is showed in the mass media has an influence within the black people themselves.
Maybe, this effect in some black people is what you are perceiving.

I Am African American
Categories: Health

I'm tired of some blacks thinking that becaus... | I Am African American | Similar Worlds