I Am Native American

I don't understand people who tell us we can't identify as Native Americans because our ancestors came from Asia and that we're no more Native American than the European settlers who came here. I can kind of see their point but I think to say we can't identify as Native Americans for that reason would be like saying no person outside of Africa can identify with the country or continent they're from since humanity originated in Africa. But it doesn't seem like anyone applies that logic to any other group of people from other places of the world, only to the indigenous people of the Americas. I wonder why? 馃 Perhaps they're your typical 'murican patriot and they feel threatened by the label, like us identifying as Native Americans makes them feel like less of an American. That or maybe they're just your typical racist and want to take away our identity. Whatever their deal is, they can whine and hate all they like but I'm a proud Native American and I'm not about to let anyone take that identity from me. Anyone have a problem with that and are mad about it? Good. 馃槈
10
|
helenS31-35, F
Tulips I think [i]everybody[/i] who was born in America has a right to say "I am Native American".
TulipsF
[@6602,helenS] And I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying don't tell me I can't.
helenS31-35, F
[@461488,Tulips] Yes Tulips whoever tells you you can't is wrong.
Blondie03F
[@6602,helenS] 馃憤
I have many friends among the Native American people. Things like the Trail of Tears were inexcusable. If any have reason for anger it would be the Native Americans, not the other way around.
ozgirl51222-25, F
[@605647,Nothingness] bury my heart at wounded knee 馃槩
[@516864,ozgirl512] My Lakota friends still had relatives in federal prison for the revolt at wounded knee. They were involved in AIM (American Indian Movement.) They accepted me like family and trusted me. 馃枻
ozgirl51222-25, F
[@605647,Nothingness] I read that book a while back... We here did no better ...
ozgirl51222-25, F
Nice rant... Go girl!
darktippedrose31-35, F
It probably angers them because it takes away from their entitlement to be angry at foreigners that are living here. They probably don't want to think about all the usurped land and such. Or the things that many Native Americans still experience, from federally approved tribes, and tribes not federally approved. There's still quite a bit of oppression.
questionWeaver56-60, M
If you or your ancestors had a winchester rifle ... you are as American as it gets.

[image=https://photos1.similarworlds.com/00/00/00/00/00/97/16/04/questionWeaver-oMZWdnjCL-b.jpg]
hippyjoe195561-69, M
Native simply means the place you were born. If you were born in the Americas you are an American which is not the same as being a citizen of the USA. As a native Canadian I am American because Canada is in the Americas.
TulipsF
[@10033,hippyjoe1955] That can be confusing though.
hippyjoe195561-69, M
[@461488,Tulips] Only if you want it to be. We used to differentiate between Canadians and US citizens by call those from the US Yanks and those from Canada as Canucks.
CountScrofula36-40, M
One of the reasons Canada uses the word Indigenous. It's a lot cleaner and more precise.
TulipsF
[@624254,CountScrofula] True but I don't think that would do much to phase these people.
CountScrofula36-40, M
[@461488,Tulips] I think I misinterpreted your post a little bit but get it now, sorry about that!

As you said, everyone's ancestors come from somewhere else if you go back far enough. Native Americans are still native to this continent in a way European settlers are not. It's just racist idiots trying to make shit up to be troublesome. Screw those people.
sighmeupforthat41-45, M
huh?

i'm cherokee/blackfoot... among african (don't ask the country, i don't know any more) and german.

but i am american, of the states.

the rest is who cares, people brag up their heritage soooooooooooo much i'm all like "yeh, come at me bro."

now i'm off to have a sip of vino.
TulipsF
[@341171,sighmeupforthat] Thanks for commenting without being a complete douchebag this time. Though I'm still getting a hint of doucheness but I'm sure you can't help it.
[@461488,Tulips] lol 馃
JohnRing51-55, M
Using their logic would make them African or really everyone African. But small minded people generally don't use logic or facts or compassion.

I Am Native American
Categories: Travel

I don't understand people who tell us we can... | I Am Native American | Similar Worlds