I Am Learning French

I had a French lesson, and it was about food and drinks in French.

I was really amazed by how ignorant my teacher was. For some reason, he started asking us all if we drank alcohol, and when I said yes, he was very surprised and made a big deal out of it, as if I told him I drank blood or something. This reaction was solely based on the simple fact that I introduced myself as an Arab living in the Middle East at the beginning of class. 🤷‍♀️ The country I am living in is even known for being international, with many westerners living here, so it is not like it is Afghanistan or something - Putting away the fact that there are plenty of Muslims who actually drink, or that I could have been an ex Muslim like it is the case with me, I could very easily be just a Christian Arab 🤷‍♀️ In which case, drinking is completely normal. But it seems that he equated Arab to Muslim, and I could tell that his reaction was out of ignorance, and not intentional racism.

I was really annoyed, especially that it wasn't the right place or time in the middle of a French class.

I have to say, he is definitely an exception, because most of my teachers always avoid religious/political topics throughout class, and they also seem well cultured and know about other countries.
ArishMell · 61-69, M
Have you explained this to him?
MissGaga · 26-30, F
No. it is a French class, not appropriate to start discussions over religion. [@519706,ArishMell]
DeWayfarer · 61-69, M
Inappropriate for him to ask. Just as inappropriate to explain to him. Hope it doesn't effect your grade though.

Unfortunately some teachers are that biased. And it might help if you could learn french from someone else.

Had a college teacher that taught philosophy and logic. Yet he taught both from a Mormon perspective. 😒
firefall · 61-69, M
Stereotypes are convenient and help you avoid thinking, which apparently is a good thing for some people?

I Am Learning French
Education Travel