Spinach in tomato stew with chickpeas

Today I cooked spinach the Egyptian way, in a tomato stew, with chickpeas. When you look at the ingredients, you get the satisfaction that it is all healthy. Some people don't include chickpeas, but I like their taste in the stew, plus, they are also an added protein bonus in the meal. The stew is either eaten with rice or bread. I personally have always prefered rice.

I used vegan stock cubes, instead of the meat stock people usually use, since spinach is almost always cooked with red meat in the Middle East (actually, pretty much every meal is cooked with a type of meat). I had both vegetable and chicken flavoured stock cubes ( chicken free/vegan friendly though) and I used the veggie one, because... Idk why 🤷‍♀️ I just felt that it would go better with it.. Some other stuff I cooked though, like Molokhia, I used the chicken flavoured vegan cubes. And this is actually the nice thing about cooking your stuff yourself, you get to make it exactly as you like or "feel". I do watch some videos before I make the meal for the first time, but I often replace certain ingredients, or make things a bit differently, when I feel that it would be more yummy or suit my taste better.

And omg, it was so tasty that I kept eating while it was still cooking on the stove 🥴🤤

I am really thankful that transforming into vegetarian got me to start cooking things myself. I had no idea cooking was that easy!! I am cooking these things for the first time, yet if you just use some common sense in estimating the quantities and all, somehow you get it just right. But the other thing about cooking, is that you know EXACTLY what you are putting into your body, and you are hundred percent sure about the hygienic aspect, and that last one often ruined my appetite, when my mind wandered about the food I got from outside.

Also, when it is all veggie, it really doesn't take much time!! Which is the main reason I didn't cook before, because I've always been too busy.

With meat, you spend time seasoning it, and then you have to leave it for at least an hour. I personally used to leave my chicken for way longer just to make sure that it is REALLY marinated, and that I won't get the slightest "chicken taste" in it. Then you have to leave it to cook for another hour or so! It is all very time consuming.

If the way we cook meat tells us anything, it only tells us that we are not naturally prepared to eat meat. If it is the case, we would eat it raw, or won't go through much trouble marinating it very well. Its natural taste would have appealed to us! But it isn't the case, because the natural taste of meat sucks big time. Even after marinating it for a long time in so many spices, I used to dip all my meat in so much sauce, so that I couldn't taste the meat anymore. Sometimes I wonder why I went through much trouble eating it! Must be the culture and habit.

On the other hand, we can eat our veggies raw or cooked, and the cooking doesn't take that long anyway. They are seasoned on the go because they already taste very good even without ANY spices. I reach home late, and within 40 mins or so, I am already sitting in front of my plate eating a GOOD meal.

The more I experience being a vegetarian, the more I am convinced that I was never actually meant to eat meat as a human . Because it all makes sense now.
Nanori · 26-30, F
TLDR just tell me one thing
Is there meat in it?
MissGaga · 26-30, F
That's very romantic 😍 You make me wanna be a lesbian potato 🥴💗[@934648,Nanori]
Nanori · 26-30, F
[@4367,MissGaga] *gasps in hoe* you mean you aren't already?! Shame shame shame
Imma tie you up and squish your tiddies till you come out
(˘͈ ω ˘✿)
MissGaga · 26-30, F
[@934648,Nanori] 🥺🥺 MilitantIrishman was right about you! You are mean 🥺😢 *potato runs crying*
Nayla · 51-55, F
sounds great! love chickpeas
MilitantIrishman · 26-30, M
I have to eat animals. It's the only thing that keeps me from eating potatoes
Nanori · 26-30, F
[@8731,MilitantIrishman] that's why you drool when u see me?

Wait what did I just say
MilitantIrishman · 26-30, M
[@4367,MissGaga] many many chickens are sacrificed to save you, lil potato

[@934648,Nanori] No, dw. You're right 😏😏
MissGaga · 26-30, F
🥺🤗[@8731,MilitantIrishman]
John01 · M
Sounds yum. I might give that a try. 😋
MissGaga · 26-30, F
It is very yummy! Let me know if you want the recipe and how it is cooked [@1191483,John01]
John01 · M
Okay [@4367,MissGaga]. I may just do that! I'll need to get me like a big soup bowl first. Thank you! 😁🌱
exotically · 18-21, F
im scared of chickpeas
MissGaga · 26-30, F
[@868780,exotically] Is it because they chase you at night?
exotically · 18-21, F
[@4367,MissGaga] i just find them really freaky
Sirfurryanimal · 61-69, M
You should start a you tube channel’Cooking with Missgaga’😀
MissGaga · 26-30, F
[@356742,Sirfurryanimal] I think cooking with lil potato would be a cooler name!
Sirfurryanimal · 61-69, M
[@4367,MissGaga] yeah....😀🥔
Piper · 61-69, F
That sounds really good to me, and definitely "nutritious". I put spinach in most of the meals I prepare for myself, but I've never tried your described combination of ingredients. I appreciate the new idea, thank you.
MissGaga · 26-30, F
[@910977,Piper] It was very yummy you won't regret it! If you want more details on the recipe, let me know.
Piper · 61-69, F
[@4367,MissGaga] I'd like that...thank you. :)
LucyFuhr · 51-55, F
I spent an hour today learning the difference between kabuli and kala chana (white vs black garbanzo beans) and your post makes me feel like it wasn't a total waste of time! LOL

I ate your whole post up!
MissGaga · 26-30, F
I am really happy to read your comment, that you've been getting better on plant based-diet, and it reaffirms everything that I've been learning. Trust me, it is NOT just you, there are many people who literally lived on medicine, and suffered bad diseases, that were reversed (so it is not just prevention) within a short period of time after switching to plant based diet. I hate shoving my beliefs (be it anything) down people's throats, but the more I learn about this, the more I want to shout out this info to everyone, because we are REALLY misinformed. If you are into this topic and want something to give you a push and keep you on track because I UNDERSTAND that some people just love meat (I guess I am just lucky I've always not been a fan), listen to Dr Milton Mills talking about this. I am gradually going vegan just listening to him, because everything he says just makes perfect sense and it is purely scientific. You'd be AMAZED!! He is also interesting and funny :)

As for the dish, well it is just spinach so it doesn't really have a special name to look up, but I will write you the recipe:

Sauté chopped onion (I like to chop them really small pieces) - When they are a bit carmalised, add crushed garlic and sauté with the onion. Then add chopped coriander (fresh coriander leaves), a tablespoon of tomato sauce, salt and pepper, and move it for a little while but not for too long, so the fresh leaves won't burn.

Then add some tomato juice and water, and add veggies stock cubes (there are healthy types and terrible types). Let it all boil for a while, then add chopped spinach leaves.

Let it cook for a while then add the boiled chickpeas when the spinach stew is almost done, and again let it cook for a little while.

That's it - I am not providing accurate quantities or cooking time because I personally just estimate it's I see appropriate 🤷‍♀️

This is an Egyptian recipe for spinach, and I am sure that there are hundreds of ways to cook it, which I plan to explore! But I thought I will start with what I know. I will try to look up other vegetarian middle eastern recipes for you to try, so that variety will keep you interested in maintaining the diet.

[@8345,LucyFuhr]
LucyFuhr · 51-55, F
[@4367,MissGaga] I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I'm fine without the measurements; I do most of my cooking by eye and taste.

I've already done a Google search for Dr. Mills and I'll be definitely checking him out 🤗
MissGaga · 26-30, F
[@8345,LucyFuhr] So glad to be of help ♥️♥️

I Am a Vegetarian
Health Image and Weight