Archived Questions

Is the word 'man' derived from the word 'mean'?
+ 0 14 replies 0 views Apr 11, 2015 |
MadnessFreak
Not all of us are mean :P
MissGaga · 26-30, F
A great majority is though?>
MadnessFreak
most of the humans are mean anyway :)
zeframcochrane
I will also defend this. You would be correct to say the majority but it is quite misandric to say that all men are mean. The same could be said of women from this individual's standpoint.

Part of this issue is that both sexes are held in a fiercely rigid social structure and the vast majority of people adhere to those structures. Thus you have the old adage: Men=Dominance/aggression, women=Submission/passivity. Its quite destructive to people and leads to double standards on both sides, its just as destructive to men as it is to women. For instance, there are actually more female domestic abusers than there are males. The problem is that:
A: Men who are abused by women are automatically deemed not "real" men anymore, regardless of circumstance.
B: Men are generally (but not always) more physically imposing than women and people won't turn such a blind eye to eye whereas they would gladly look the other way for the opposite.

We're still very primitive and pathetic when it comes to genders and our rules and thoughts on them.
baben30
lol, no! ;)
MissGaga · 26-30, F
:P
GlassDog
And maybe the word women is derived to mean those who get woe from men. :)
FreudianSlip13
I think so
Tminus6453
I think they derived it from the word aMAziNg.. :)
MissGaga · 26-30, F
Oh come on O.o

Someone is using their head lol
ronjolan
Is the word woe derived from the word woman?
lahlahgwen
From MOAN i think.
zeframcochrane
If I remember correctly, it's latin. I think it's derived from Germanic Mann, which itself was derived from what Tacitus described as the first Proto-Germanic tribe: Mannus.
PiecingMeBackTogether
yea cuz that's just mean you are so mean

Archived Questions