Did you enjoy Irish Comedian Dave Allen's form of Satire?
Personally I enjoyed Dave Allen.
He was always taking the piss out of Politicians and Especially the Catholic Religion.
Never one to take crap from people he once told a Channel 9,(Australia)producer, live on air to, "Go away and Masturbate".
[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hipigscYXIM]
[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBca1ixoEbg]
[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvnL4PcLahQ]
A joke by Allen in his final series had the BBC cringing and prompted an MP ask a Parliamentary question about "Offensive Language in Broadcasting."
"We spend our lives on the run. We get up by the clock, eat and sleep by the clock, go to work by the clock, get up again, go to work – and then we retire. And what do they fucking give us? A clock."
A one man Stand up Comedian who spent the whole show sitting on a Bar Stool, sipping Whiskey, at least that's what we thought. In fact it was Ginger Ale.
His Sketches were quite controversial and he received numerous complaints from those parodied.
He was an Atheist. "I'm an Atheist, thank God" he would say.
Every show would finish with a raised glass and,
"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you."
Dead now 13 years I would love for his shows to be repeated on TV but with Political Correctness destroying free speech, it may be a forlorn hope.
4
|
Edited: 1 yr ago
Nunos50 · 56-60, M Best Answer
Used to love his shows - used to sit with my Mum and Dad in fits of laughter at times.
Nunos50 · 56-60, M
[@546016,Gusman] No stand up these days lacks a lot of his style - it's too quick, too loud, too simple too often for me.
Gusman · 56-60, M
[@14688,SW-Helps50] True that. No one will come close to Dave Allen.
Benny Hill was funny, in a crass sort of way.
Nunos50 · 56-60, M
[@546016,Gusman] My dad liked Benny Hill but I never really got it - some of it was funny but Dave Allen was the king for me.
alan20 · M
I liked him too; kind of identified with him!
Gusman · 56-60, M
[@99512,alan20] I think many people identified with him. Where as we would not voice our true thoughts on Religion and Politicians, Allen was, "In your Face"
A true master and very observant of the hypocrisy of Society.
SandInMyShoes · 31-35, F
Yes, he was hilarious.
SaraTG · 46-50, T
Comic legend
Daltonico · 56-60, M
My favourite was the sketch set in South Africa in the Dutch Reform Church. A black youth was in there and the priest (Dave Allen) approached him and said, "Hey you, boy, what are doing in here ?"

The youth answered something like, "I'm polishing the pews, sir."

The priest replied, "Good. You carry on. So long as you haven't come in here to pray."
alan20 · M
[@605720,Daltonico] I liked the one about the Pope always having to be carried around because his favourite tipple was Creme de Menthe.
Daltonico · 56-60, M
The sad thing is I don't think my reply will go down too well with a certain element of the population in places like Arkansas (judging by what I saw in [b]Miriam's Big American Adventure [/b]) .
Gusman · 56-60, M
[@605720,Daltonico] Does not matter what other people think. You enjoyed it. That's all that matters.👍

Did you enjoy Irish Comedian Dave Allen's for... | Miscellaneous | Similar Worlds