I was watching a prison docuseries on Netflix and this one dude in a Russian prison, serving life for countless murders and rapes, married and fathered a child while in prison.
[@834093,puckbunny] I know it's so. There's even a "reality" show, "Life After Lockup" with both women [b]and[/b] men on the outside who get involved with convicts. One man practically spent his life savings on a woman in jail for multiple frauds. He [b]knew[/b] that was why she was in there, and it didn't stop him.
WindTherapy · 51-55, M
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] I got sucked into that show the other night. You just know things aren't going to end well. 🤦
BestMeow · 22-25, F
These are just possibilities but I’m thinking three things:

1. They genuinely have an interest in the particular person after reading about them or something.

2. They have a genuine interest in convicts or the legal system in general.

3. They know inmates are super likely to write back and they want a response.
[@853969,JustMeow] Interesting. That makes some sense.
BestMeow · 22-25, F
As for the people who marry the inmates they write..... it’s probably #3 I think, but it’s a good question
uncalled4 · 51-55, M
I think it's the "bad boy" thing gone off the rails.
[@329500,uncalled4] There's a show called "Love After Lockup". Plenty of guys write incarcerated women, too. [b]That[/b] I didn't know.
uncalled4 · 51-55, M
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] Neither did I. Curious.
AlmostAnAngel · 100+, F
An unusual type of LDR perhaps.
Harriet03 · 41-45, F
I like the idea, of writing to a former US President!
So much to say..
[@763897,Harriet03] Lol ! 😅
Harriet03 · 41-45, F
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] [image deleted]
BatRinseRepeat · 31-35, F
Probabily a combination of boredom, fantasy, low self esteem, with a range of sexual kinks for extra flavor.

In the most extreme form its recognized as a clinical disorder called hybristophilla.
[@339791,BatRinseRepeat] Very interesting.
morrgin · 41-45, F
Have you ever gotten a prison letter? They use jail talk. They found God, tell you how beautiful and intelligent you are and how they might be tough guy but they looking to settle down. They never had the kind of support you give....please if its not too much trouble send me some money for stamps so i can write you back again...i miss knowing whats going on out there like even having a tv...no you dont need to get me a tv...well ok and thank you. You are so special and good to me. What would i do without you?

A profitable pen pal is born.
Fernie · F
[@668319,morrgin] Good for you!!! Don't give up!
morrgin · 41-45, F
[@331316,Fernie] its hard especially when the 15 year old keeps contacting him.
Fernie · F
[@668319,morrgin] At that age they will NOT listen to reason unfortunately...they think they know what love is
I've heard of this and I have never figured it out unless as a spouse they might get money.
Fernie · F
Desperate, lonely people communicating with other desperate lonely people I think is one big reason...never ends well for the one on the outside
My Opinion: They are very hard up for any type of companionship. And misery loves company.

💑
[@493455,Experienced33] It's rather sad, really.
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] It must make them happy, tho.
sarabee1995 · 26-30, F
Pretty much the same thing people in long distance online relationships gain.
Peaches · F
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] Well I would judge that too, but not every single person that's incarcerated which I thought was your question.
[@364304,Peaches] My original question was why some people who are [b]not[/b] incarcerated deliberately try to hook up with convicts, strangers, [b]while[/b] they are still in prison.
Peaches · F
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] Haha, yes and I suppose I've given my answer in so many ways. I don't understand stranger to stranger hook ups much at all. We can only [b]guess.🎭️[/b]
My cousin did that. She was set up with a guy in prison by another inmates girlfriend! i don't get it.
SmartKat · 56-60, F
Some people find danger erotic.
Peaches · F
I think a lot of it has to do with their self esteem and they feel comfortable with people that's been in jail, they are less likely to judge them they feel. It's about acceptance for them both.
[@364304,Peaches] That’s not the same as seeking out people [b]currently[/b] incarcerated.
Peaches · F
[@328496,bijouxbroussard] Maybe they've been there before and have low self esteem. Some are also looking for a victim.
Gravitybootz · 46-50, M
Maybe they figure if they come to the rescue they'll be guaranteed love
sciguy18 · M
I've always wondered that too. Maybe some of it has to do with the "celebrity" status of some well-known criminals. Perhaps some people are truly lonely and figure it is a "safe" relationship because the other person will never get out to actually meet them.
zeeva70 · F
When I was younger, I remember my aunt was involved with the jail ministry at her church in Florida. She struck up a relationship with an inmate. No one listened to my opinon on it.

An older woman, she was a virgin. They discussed marriage. Like everyone else, even my grandmother was impressed with how well he prayed (filled with the holy ghost) and he'd convenced them all he was a changed man once he was released.

My aunt (my she rest in peace) lectured me about remaining a virgin and God would send me a husband, just like he did for her.

Soon after, slowly he started getting into trouble again. My mother blamed his friends 🤦🏿‍♀️. They still reminisced about how well he prayed. Then abruptly he was no longer discussed again.

Tragically, my aunt remained a virgin until she died. Can't remember how old she was- late 50s or early 60s.