If someone is truly bilingual..

When they use one language or the other, does it come totally natural or do they have to "switch gears" in their mind?

I studies French some years ago, never was good enough for it to feel natural but what about true bilinguists?
Im not fully bilingual but i dont have to think.. i often mix both language without realizing
[@521524,KiwiBird] haha id die for an American accent
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@630459,SimplyChantou] There are many "American" accents though, you would sound out of place in a room full of Americans. Unless they were from Arkansas or New York. NOOObody else sounds like them.
[@1073121,Leggs] my ex was from NJ and we were fluent
Sidewinder · 31-35, M
I comes naturally to me.
it is a smoothe transition
like one thought
It all boils down to practice. If one person speaks/writes those two languages everyday then it's in their nature and brain switches without even thinking.
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@1098989,Donotfolowme] When I tried to use my limited French, my "Switching gears" was like someone who can barely drive a stick, grinding and all.
KiligAF · 18-21, F
I can’t speak for other bilinguals, but my brain thinks differently when I switch from one language to another. It’s still natural but it’s not the same. I think it’s because one thing can have different meanings in different languages, so I always get myself mentally prepared for that. 🤔
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@385726,KiligAF] Like if a French couple owned a bear? Would they say, "Yes, that ours is ours"
KiligAF · 18-21, F
[@1073121,Leggs] Lol probably not when it comes to using simple vocabs and sentences such as that.
BlueMetalChick · 26-30, F
I speak many languages. Serbian is my native tongue and it comes naturally as anything. I guess English comes naturally too although sometimes I start to lose my English when I get excited or upset.
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@521524,KiwiBird] My ex father in law was Mexican American. When he was pissed off, he would cuss in English and Spanish, it was hilarious.
KiwiBird · 31-35, F
[@1073121,Leggs] Clever those multi-linguists. Cunning even...does that make them cunilinguists? [@6579,BlueMetalChick]
BlueMetalChick · 26-30, F
[@521524,KiwiBird] I owe that to my mother. She was multilingual like myself and I have never heard someone use profanity in such creative and inventive ways as she did. It was striking.
Miram · 26-30, F
I am multilingual. The more you use the languages, the easier is the transition.

What you're talking about is called code-switching in linguistics.
I don't know but when two bilingual people talk to each other it looks like they don't even realize they are using two languages. They fluently go from one to another.
lightningblue · 22-25, M
you just think and talk in whatever language you want
if you want to be better in french, listen to their comedians
thats always the best way to truly be good in a language, to understand the humor
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@6528,lightningblue] It is definitely the fun way because one WANTS to understand.
It is better than those language lessons where Mr Brown buys a bus ticket to Nice. Or even "Pardon me, but where can I buy a suit case?"
lightningblue · 22-25, M
[@1073121,Leggs] those class are necessary, humor goes way deeper and in the culture
Leggs · 46-50, F
[@6528,lightningblue] They are necessary, true. Of course all those grammar rules we ignored in our native languages come back to haunt us.
Dlrannie · 26-30, F
I’m quadrilingual and in the vast majority of instances I think in the language I’m speaking 🙂
MartinTheFirst · 22-25, M
Its natural. I mostly speak english in my head but if I dont think about it i cant recall which language I just used.
Allabouttaboo · 31-35, M
I speak 4 languages and it's natural
Reemar · 26-30, F
Everything changes; my gestures, my tone,eveything ... but the switch is pretty automatic... now though, that I end up speaking more English, it takes me a minute to make the switch..